What's new

21 Reasons why English Sucks

Brandon

Legend Of The Universe
PF Member
Reaction score
  1. The bandage was wound around the wound. 2. The farm was used to produce produce.
  2. The dump was so full it had to refuse more refuse.
  3. We must polish the Polish furniture.
  4. He could lead if he would get the lead out.
  5. The soldier decided to desert his dessert in the desert.
  6. Since there was no time like the present, he thought it was time to present the present.
  7. A bass was painted on the head of the bass drum.
  8. When shot at, the dove dove into the bushes.
  9. I did not object to the object.
  10. The insurance was invalid for the invalid.
  11. There was a row among the oarsmen on how to row.
  12. They were too close to the door to close it.
  13. The buck does funny things when does are present.
  14. A seamstress and a sewer fell down into a sewer line.
  15. To help with planting, the farmer taught his sow to sow.
  16. The wind was too strong to wind the sail.
  17. After a number of injections my jaw got number.
  18. Upon seeing the tear in the painting I shed a tear.
  19. I had to subject the subject to a series of tests.
  20. How can I intimate this to my most intimate friend?

Geeeez... Imagine those whose native language has a dramatically different structure/sound to English trying to learn all this! This must be frustrating to try and get a hang of at first

The Story of English. A PBS series in the 80's if I recall......

The Story of English. A PBS series in the 80's if I recall......

Yeah, the series is from 1986 ... it looks and feels surprisingly dated, but it's probably b/c of the low video resolution. ;)

Episode 1 (also in 7 parts) is also very interesting, b/c it describes how widespread the English language is (or was).

Nowadays, it's interesting to observe that the use of English as a "lingua franca" has declined in non-English-speaking countries, probably b/c computers can process local writing systems now, which wasn't possible in the 1980ies.

---------- Post added at 04:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:41 AM ----------

Another thing that I found interesting was what episode 2 says about the Germanic tribes. From what is now France, there have been the Normans (from Normandy), the Bretons (that gave Britain it's name) and the Gauls (Lat. Gallia, that brought the Gaelic language); From what is now Germany, there have been the Celts (from roughly central Germany), the Anglos (from Northwestern Germany) and the Saxons (from Eastern to Northwestern Germany). Saxony even still exists in Germany as the names of two states: Lower Saxony (which is in the Northwest) and Saxony (which is in the East). Saxony still speaks a very peculiar version (dialect) of the German language that was and still is spoken in almost all of East Germany (it was the national language during the GDR period). The two languages (English and German) developed apart b/c England used to be pretty isolated, while Germany was often subject to tribe meandering and invasions from regions as far as Turkey or Russia, which brought a great diversity to the German language it is now. As the episode points out, Old English and German are more flexible than modern English, and thus need fewer words. Remarkable the observation that word order doesn't matter much in Old English and German -- it's true. Plus, German has the advantage that words can be combined almost arbitrarily to form new words, so it might be that there's even an unlimited number of words in German ... lol ... modern English has the advantage that it's very compact and that it's relatively easy to learn (especially compared to Arabic, Russian, Chinese or other languages with complex pronunciation and grammar).

After Monster's post maybe I should re-watch the series. I haven't seen it since it was aired....

That was pretty funny. I hate the silent k in front of words, like knee or know. And union could be pronounced the same as onion. And whatever reason it is that we have "f" and "ph" is just dumb. The same for "x" and "cks."

That was pretty funny. I hate the silent k in front of words, like knee or know. And union could be pronounced the same as onion. And whatever reason it is that we have "f" and "ph" is just dumb. The same for "x" and "cks."

The 'k' in front of know it's silent it's a modifier so we know not to say now. Knee makes sense to me because there's nee (originally named) and knee (body part)

What I don't get it why with all the letters and possible combinations we need homophones. Live and live is another one. Eight and ate. Doesn't make much sense to mee.

I'm going to post those up on a tall post for posterity!

---------- Post added at 09:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:25 PM ----------

...Or maybe I'll post them through Canada Post...

Back