What's new

60% of Photoshop Users are PIRATES!

Adam

Senior Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
So here it is… the one week results from our previous poll on software piracy. In that short time, we’ve had nearly 500 photographers cast their votes and the outcome is quite interesting. It looks like Adobe’s high-end photo editing software packages (like Photoshop and Lightroom) are hot items in the pirated software market.

I’m not here to make judgments or anything — I’m just presenting the results from our little study. I’d also like to mention that my computer is 100% free of pirated or “borrowed” software and that the poll results are no indication of my own habits.

Wow… I expected the number of Photoshop pirates to be high, but not quite that high! 58%?!? So for every legal copy of Photoshop, there’s a pirated counterpart… and then some! An equally interesting observation from the poll is that 87% of the people who read this blog are Photoshop users of some sort. I’m sure we represent a higher density population of Photoshoppers, but my guess is that well over 50% of digital photographers have access to Photoshop.

http://blog.epicedits.com/2008/03/28/60 ... e-pirates/

I figured a lot of people pirated photoshop but I didn't think the percentage was this high. What do you guys think the reason is?

I think its absolutely correct because costing is not enough for designing in asian countries. Cost of product is so high. So people pirate the softwares. So if price is as good as economy of country then people can afford it.

It should be something lower than in western countries.

Thanks

webkid said:
I think its absolutely correct because costing is not enough for designing in asian countries. Cost of product is so high. So people pirate the softwares. So if price is as good as economy of country then people can afford it.

It should be something lower than in western countries.

Thanks
++1...
but i need to state here that there are several free or opensource alternative to Photoshop....
GIMP is an excellent example....:)
I think it is necessary to educate the people about the free ware and opensource alternatives in order to curb the piracy...

well if your going to ask me here in my Country i think its 90% LoL

Well what you sadi is exactly right . This piracy will happens due to huge cost of the photoshop software.

pranith said:
Well what you sadi is exactly right . This piracy will happens due to huge cost of the photoshop software.

yes your are right... its because here in my country... a lot of people cant afford to buy softwares as expensive as photoshop... so they buy pirated Softwares instead knowing that they will use it at home.. so no one knows from the media board...

Here in our country, piracy is such a big deal the government should take a look at. I believe around 80% of the companies here are using pirated copies of softwares not just photoshop but almost all softwares available for use..

spinky.jones said:
Here in our country, piracy is such a big deal the government should take a look at. I believe around 80% of the companies here are using pirated copies of softwares not just photoshop but almost all softwares available for use..

thats why software companies are starting to sue those people.. like microsoft has been doing

I think the percentage is even higher for people who don't use Photoshop at their job. Because - let's be honest: who can afford $699 for Photoshop? I mean, Photoshop Elements is a nice idea, but I guess if you're serious about Designing and/or Web Design, you'll end up having to use the $699 version.
For most of my work I use cheaper and free alternatives such as PhotoImpact or GIMP. I'm preparing to start my own business, so what I'm doing right now is shopping around for used Photoshop licenses (CS2 or CS3). Because, quite frankly, it is the best. The price sucks big time, but it is the best software. And there are also, by far, the most and the best tutorials for it out there.

I used Photoshop in school and for a little bit professionally when I worked for a newspaper. The newspaper even brought someone into train me. It was kind of strange because we used InDesign for our ads and all we used Photoshop for was resizing and changing pictures to gray scale. I thought it was silly to use PS for basic things that any image editor can do but I suppose PS was bought as part of a suite.

Anywho there's no excuse to pirate. It's just self-entitlement and laziness at work here. I suspect a lot of these pirates could get by with GIMP or even Paint.net. I'm not saying either has all the features of Photoshop but statistically even PS experts don't use all of PS's capabilities.

Arrrg :B
I have a tough time trying to make a square box in any image software, I have no use for it paid or pirated

LOL @ Brandon. I'm pretty much the same, I work better with existing images rather than creating them from scratch.

A few years ago I wrote some shareware. Actually software that I wrote for myself that I thought others might use. A comic book collection program and a program to create paypal buttons in flash, ect... Still selling them actually but since I get like $40 a month if I'm lucky its not a high priority to me.

Anyway until I put in better safeguards for every copy of the software I sold, I was getting like 100 people unlocking the software pirated.

Its ridiculous.

So anyway I wrote the comic software for my own collection and then wrote the paypal program so I could have a flash button to sell the comic software.(which I recently had to stop using since Paypal decided to have a bug that wouldn't let flash work with their site but they finally fixed it sigh) And I wrote a football poll program so I could run a football poll. And I wrote a html help program so I could write the documentation for the programs. lol

i wish I could afford cs4. :-( I would buy it in a second.

Do you do graphic design stuff? If so, what do you use if you don't use Photoshop? Gimp?

Well the cost is very high, so this had to happen.

I have paint shop pro v7.4? I think thats the version

the original CD and I still use it today
its easy and can do lots with the same plugins as photoshop uses

they dont even make it now as corel bought out jasc ages ago and its all changed oh and $$$$ more costly

i'll stay with my version

Back