What's new

Abit KA7 Problems

G

Ok, hopefully someone here has a mystic answer to my problem. I have a classic Athlon 750Mhz processor on an Abit KA7 motherboard. I get random lockups that have yet to be explained. It doesn't matter what hardware I have in the machine, or which operating system I'm using.
Currently besides the processor a 128MB stick of PC100 ram is in the machine and a Diamond Viper V770 AGP video card. My hard drive is a 20 gig Maxtor ATA drive. Of course there are some fans plugged in too. My powersupply is a 300W Antec which is rated by AMD to a gigahertz.

Obviously I have more hardware, but the freezing occurs at even this basic level. And the problem happens in both Linux and Win2k. The lockups are random as far as I can tell. Sometimes after 15 minutes, sometimes after a couple days. So, here's what I've tried.

1) Every bios setting imaginable from the KA7 FAQ (so don't tell me to go there).

2) So I thought ram problem, but after swapping out my 128m stick for another, it still locked up after about an hour.

3) Unplug everything but the essentials from the PS in hopes that insufficient power was the problem.

4) I've tried the ram in every dimm slot, and reseated the CPU numerous times.

5) New bios version TY has been flashed to it.

Finally, before you suggest a heat problem, my CPU runs at a chilly 75 degrees F constantly. Last I checked this is well within operating specs.

At this point I'm at my wits end with this machine and I am desperately seeking help. I really don't want to have to buy myself a coppermine, but it may come to that.

Brian

Before you rule out heat, you should realize that the overheating of components other than the CPU can cause lockups. I've seen many an overheated video card lockup a system, exactly as you describe.

Make sure there is adequate airflow in the case. It doesn't do any good to have fans in there if the airflow is blocked.

You didn't mention if your RAM was generic or not. Have you tried a different brand (you didn't mention if the other stick was the same type or brand).

Random lockups are most commonly caused by the following: heat, bad RAM, and outdated drivers.
Those should be the things that you should check twice.

----------------------------
spidergoolash: "heh, a cup of diesel dan - mwahhha"
me: "heh, a cup of me is like a cup of heaven!"

there has been a limited recall of KA7 motherboards due to stability problems... if you can't figure this out, email abit and see what they say.. i myself have a KA7 but haven't had any trouble with it... good luck

edit:
What CAS is the RAM? Have you tried a PC133 stick yet?

Back