What's new

An AS Hockey First?

possum37

Mastermind Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
Unless Sandbox updates a stat or two, it looks like there might be *two* point-total ties in the league this week! This is the first time we've had a tie, let alone two of them, isn't it?

------------------
My knob tastes funny.

poss> Bad news. Santa Cruz is going to win your game because he played a defenseman in a Flex position, so you're going to lose points because of the stragety adjustment.

However, the LA-NJ game is a toss-up, since neither played a stragety player.
I'm not sure how Sandbox resolves ties in that situation.

------------------
"It's always funny until someone gets hurt, and then it's just hilarious."

I believe you are correct, Poss. So we will now see the tie-breaker system at work. I'm pretty sure LA will beat NJ because LA scored more goals. In the Roch-Santa Cruz game, SC will win because of the defenseman being used in the flex position. The strategy system certainly worked in that game.

This will all result in a 3-way tie for the best record of 17-10 as Buffalo has won as well.

Which makes this league very interesting especially since there are quite a few other teams who are within 2 games of the lead.

<edit>of course sandbox could always update the scores as Poss pointed out, as they are occasionally behind</edit>

------------------
my eyes, the goggles do nothing

<FONT COLOR="#000000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by jourgenson on January 08, 2001 at 09:28 AM</font>

From Sandbox:

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
Tie Breakers for individual head-to-head match-ups will be in the following order:

For Head-to-Head and Head-to-Head strategy: (1) Most goals scored, (2) Fewest goals against, (3) Most wins by goalies in starting line-up, (4) Most assists, and finally, (5) home ice advantage (which is a yes or no).

Tie Breakers for final league standings will be in the following order:

For Roto, Head-to-Head and Head-to-Head Strategy leagues: (1) Fantasy Points, (2) Most goals scored during the season, (3) Most wins by goalies in starting line-up during the season, (4) If a tie still exists, one team will be selected at random to go on to the post-season Playoff Pix game.
</font>

So, yes, if LA scored more goals, they win. It looks like LA had 4 goals while NJ only had 2.

------------------

D'Oh! Didn't even notice that ol' Prox was playing a defenseman there.

But hey, it's still kinda neat seeing there was *one* tie. And, *Poss gets all misty-eyed* we were there to see it... *sniff sniff* I love you guys... *Poss breaks down and gets all mushy*

------------------
My knob tastes funny.

I was just looking at Prox's box score and noticed that if he had played anyone except Messier (who had 0 points) he would also have outscored Poss. The defenseman scored 4 and everyone, besides Messier, had at least 7.

So this game is an argument both for and against using defensive strategy. Of course hindsight is 20/20. At least using strategy gives you a guaranteed loss of points fo you opposition.

------------------

In all honesty, unless you have a REALLY offensive defenseman, like Leetch, Blake, or Lidstrom, among a select few, you're almost certainly sacrificing some points by playing a defenseman over a forward.

------------------

Defense of that offensive caliber is tough to come by since you are already using 2 in the defense slots. You need to have a really good third-best defenseman.

------------------

That's why they call it stragety. Usually, you're using a weaker offensive defenseman who won't gain as many points as a forward, with the expectation that the opponents forwards will get more points than their goalies, and incur the penalty.

------------------

Ahhhh Poss I didnt want to beat you . . . I just had to . . . I mean my team needs all the wins it can get. If it makes you feel any better I didnt really play that defenseman for any stratigic pourpose he just played the right # of games.
lol.gif

------------------
Mother Should I Trust The Government - Pink Floyd

Sometimes the best stragety is to have no stragety at all, grasshopper.

bowjapan.gif

------------------

Back