What's new

An Unknown Karaoke Landmark Gone

possumdog

Expert Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
We were just getting ready to make the 6 hour round trip trek to a former karaoke haunt when we learned it had burned to the ground last night. The place had the same hosts running the show for 16 years and some cohosts took it over last year when they retired. The original hosts were to be honored there tonight so we were going to join the gathering.

The restaurant was family owned for 70 years and a local landmark. When the original hosts started karaoke there, they worked for dinners the first year to prove it could work. Now we are heading to a potluck in a rec room as the regulars are in shock and want to do something. It seems to have been a part of people's lives for so long. The boyfriend and I met there over 8 years ago and now have our own karaoke business.

Most of the karaoke equipment had been bought by the restaurant when the original hosts retired. The present hosts just lost a few of their own discs and some microphones. This particular show ran about 80% on singers bringing their own discs, anyway. The original hosts each took two songs in every round and would let politics interfere--slips with Dixie Chicks songs on them got "lost." They had real instruments they would pretend to play behind the singers, all with a deadpan, serious expression that made it sublty hilarious. They broke all of the "rules" yet had a successful show two nights a week at the same place for 16 years. We got calls from two different states this morning from former regulars wanting to share the news.

Losing a great one is always awful. People sometimes forget how karaoke "families" form at long running shows, with all the emotional interaction that goes with it.

When one where I sang ( not hosted) for many years was sold, I was given much of the bar stuff as memorobelia when renovations started.

One of these is a large bar mirror, the reverse of which was signed by all of the regulars, the owners, bartenders, etc. I treasure it.

sorry to hear about this. Did you meet your boyfreind at the show there?

Just got back from a get together of some of the regulars. The trip back was 5 hours because of a blizzard. A fundraiser is being planned for the 22 employees who are out of work. It looked like a bit of the stage was poking out of the rubble.

Yes, I met my boyfriend there. One of the co-hosts had proposed to his wife there. etc. etc. etc. The locals will feel the loss next weekend when they have nowhere to meet.

Sorry to hear of this ...I just got to this thread and feel your loss:unhappypill:

Back