What's new

And to add to Intel's woes...

I think I know what my next PC is going to be. Dan, did you actually read an article on the upcoming P4? The performance absolutely SUCKS! They are gonna have to release it at a significantly higher speed than the P3 because the P3 can OUTPERFORM it clock for clock. Then, just think about the Athlon architecture. Give an Athlon DDR memory to talk to, and it leaves the P4 in the dust. If I find that article, I'll post it here.

----------------------------
Does driving a car from Saturn make me an alien?

Right now, the only P3s that beat out Athlons are doing so because of RDRAM vs. SDRAM. You couple the P3 with SDRAM and you get the Athlon beating the snot out of it.
And considering the price vs. performance issue, for the increased price you pay for a P3 with RDRAM, it's nowhere near the increase you should see.

I'm apt to think that the problem with coupling a P3 with a VIA chipset isn't so much the chipset as it is the limitation of SDRAM.

spidergoolash: "heh, a cup of diesel dan - mwahhha"
me: "heh, a cup of me is like a cup of heaven!"

P3's getting new cores.. heh.. yeah like that'll help
smile.gif

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/1/13672.html

What the hell is the point of that?
First Intel comes out with Slot 1, saying it's necessary to abandon the socket architecture because it can't support higher speeds.
Then, they come out and say that it's possible, and more economical, to produce P3s using the socket format.
Now, they're going BACK to Slot 1?!?

They really are reaching at this point, aren't they?

spidergoolash: "heh, a cup of diesel dan - mwahhha"
me: "heh, a cup of me is like a cup of heaven!"

Back