What's new

Antares auto-tune hardware...opinions?

Kevin Kelly

Establishing Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
I really didn't realize that Antares (from what I understand, the father of the auto-tune software...Cher, T-Pain, Kanye, etc) has had a 19" rack mount piece of hardware out for quite awhile. From all reviews I've found, it does the job well for live situations...I'm finding this piece on Ebay for around $250. (Having difficulty finding it new which is weird...)

http://www.antarestech.com/products/avp.shtml

Question...do you use this piece of equipment or something similar? And if so, do you like it? Would you use it? (Not trying to start a "auto-tuners suck" discussion and how it's the end of "real" music as we know it...they are here, people like them so that's why I'm bringing this up)

There is a host that is in a market adjacent to mine that is using this as a selling point for his shows...he's saying "the first in the Northwest", etc. I can't stand this host for many personal reasons that go way back but I must say I think it's a great marketing move. I am very interested in adding this to my show AND telling the whole world about it...and why not? If it's one more thing to add to my arsenal and that will set me apart from other karaoke hosts/shows why NOT advertise it?

I'm wondering if a ton of hosts already use it though and I just don't know about it or hear about it?

dammit now I want one\! *lol*

Ah well. It would be cool to have, especially since I don't have a compressor already *of course, I'd have to pay to learn how to use it probably&

i dunno, it certainly couldn't hurt anything

-James

VERY cool.....will look into it.

The funny thing is, I used to catch crap on the boards for processing vocals ( which I've been doing for years, albeit with different equipment, and "undercover"- with the singers only knowing they sounded better with me, without knowing why).

Nice to know folks are catching up....:sqwink::sqcool:

VERY cool.....will look into it.

The funny thing is, I used to catch crap on the boards for processing vocals ( which I've been doing for years, albeit with different equipment, and "undercover"- with the singers only knowing they sounded better with me, without knowing why).

Nice to know folks are catching up....:sqwink::sqcool:

Joe....you've been in it longer and more than I have...do you know of any other karaoke hosts that are doing this? Promoting it?

Joe....you've been in it longer and more than I have...do you know of any other karaoke hosts that are doing this? Promoting it?

Joe - are you at liberty to share with us some of your tricks at making
people sound better........... the extent of mine are - top quality equipment
and mics.......... Sure SM58's or 58 Betas, Mackie CFX 12 with effects...... Sabine FBX-2400 feedback exterminator in the two mic inserts.........and meticulous attention to each and every singers mic quality and music background.......... (And RCF 4Pro40001's 3 way 800 watts ea - these babies kick some real serious butt !!)

I really wonder if this new gadget would really make them sound better,
or just different ?

I really wonder if this new gadget would really make them sound better,
or just different ?

??? Of coarse it would!!! Kanye West cannotSing a lick without AUTO-TUNE.....He sucks!!!

Really, Auto Tune can make Uncle Whiskey breath sound like Frank Sinatra...

It's been used by pros for quite some time now..

What I meant really isn't a secret. On the other hand, I DON'T use it as and advertised selling point.

Of course we all use quality equipment, but on most of my setups, I have a separate mini mixer for the mics. Yes, it does all the normal stuff- EQ, Freq, Echo, Delay, ( which, BTW- can also be used to create a "robot" voice), and key change on the VOCALS. Kinda like Auto-tune, but different, I guess. If a singer is off, I try to bring them in with the keychanger or Freq.

The thing is, if you TELL your singers you are doing this, they will subconciously adjust their voices, negating and ruining the help. Example: If you tell a singer you are dropping their voice key, they will automatically start trying to sing lower.

So the answer is: No, I don't mention or advertise that I do it, and hide this from the singers, but I do ad that many will sound their best with me, and they agree. They just don't know why...

I haven't tried Auto-tune, and it may well do the job better than me- but I WAS doing it first- and hearing from other hosts how it's completely unneccesary. I guess they finally got past their Luddite ways....:sqlaugh::rofl::sqlaugh::sqwink::sqcool:

What mixer are you using for your mics and what are you using as your main mixer?

What I meant really isn't a secret. On the other hand, I DON'T use it as and advertised selling point.

Of course we all use quality equipment, but on most of my setups, I have a separate mini mixer for the mics. Yes, it does all the normal stuff- EQ, Freq, Echo, Delay, ( which, BTW- can also be used to create a "robot" voice), and key change on the VOCALS. Kinda like Auto-tune, but different, I guess. If a singer is off, I try to bring them in with the keychanger or Freq.

The thing is, if you TELL your singers you are doing this, they will subconciously adjust their voices, negating and ruining the help. Example: If you tell a singer you are dropping their voice key, they will automatically start trying to sing lower.

So the answer is: No, I don't mention or advertise that I do it, and hide this from the singers, but I do ad that many will sound their best with me, and they agree. They just don't know why...

I haven't tried Auto-tune, and it may well do the job better than me- but I WAS doing it first- and hearing from other hosts how it's completely unneccesary. I guesss they finally got past their Luddite ways....:sqlaugh::rofl::sqlaugh::sqwink::sqcool:

Your separate mic mixer sounds like my old Gemini KM707 Karaoke mixer -
I used to do some of those effects, but don't recall pitch changing the
vocals - but that's an interesting Idea.... I do recall doing the "Mr. Roboto"
thing from time to time - just for grins....

Kevin,

While I do not use Auto tune or anything like it for karaoke, I do use effects to enhance vocals, the key is knowing how much and what type of effect to use. Certain songs the vocals may sound better with just a small amount of reverb, some voices on a particular song could use a little echo, while (as an example) I use a rotating phase/flange for my own vocals doing the song "Take My Breath Away" by Berlin!

When it comes to Autotune like effects I do use a system that is like the Autotune in the Studio, it is called the Studio Vocalist by Digitech!

What mixer are you using for your mics and what are you using as your main mixer?

Rob, it's me, remember? Nothing is stock. My main mixer may have started out as a Yamaha, I think, but has been enhanced and modified enough to be unrecognizable as one. The engineering kicking in. I love to fiddle. Same with the mic mixer.

However, you can get a LOT of vocal effects VERY inexpensively using the little Ninja mini-board. It's about the size of a paperback book, and includes Echo, Delay, Keychange, and a little 3 band EQ. If you want Freq or other effects it will definitely have to be modified though. Not great, but pretty darn good for effects on the the inexpensive side. Will only handle one mic though....

The main thing is the keychanger/pitch/freq. Almost any karaoke mixer will have the first two, and should work if put in line with the mic. Freq, for me, has always been a modification. If someone finds a little mixer with it built in, PLEASE feel free to pass on the info....

Back