What's new

Any 5k runners in the house?

JHowse

Chief Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
I found another sport I love: 5k runs. There's something motivating about getting up to run competatively and getting cheered on to do your best. So far, I've run two races, and got decent times (24:05 and 24:06). I'm hoping to beat those in the future. So are there any other runners on the soup? 5k, 10k, 15k, half marathoners, whole marathoners? Let's hear your story. I'd also love to hear what you do to train. I personally train for the 5k's by running 5-7 miles for the stamina run and doing more sprinting activities like playing soccer with the guys after work.

Now thats a good sport. I used to do it in Highschool and it was a blast. I think my best time was just under 18 min. Our coach used to have us do long runs once a week, speed once a week, and then medium runs 3 times a week. The long days were 10-12 miles, and the medium were 5-7. It was a blast though. I am hoping to get back into it some time soon too. I want to get into better shape sometime in the near future and start doing 10k runs again. Those are a blast. My best time in that is 40min which was fairly good. Anyway keep runnin man its fun

Originally posted by JHowse
So are there any other runners on the soup? 5k, 10k, 15k, half marathoners, whole marathoners?

NO WAY YOU PSYCHO!

Only time I ran a 5k was a charity run while I was in college that we were doing as a fraternity philanthropic event.
This was at 7AM after a night of bar hopping.
Finished in 1 hour 10 minutes, about 3 steps ahead of 90% of the fraternity. :lol:

Not kidding.

Originally posted by Diesel Dan
Only time I ran a 5k was a charity run while I was in college that we were doing as a fraternity philanthropic event.
This was at 7AM after a night of bar hopping.
Finished in 1 hour 10 minutes, about 3 steps ahead of 90% of the fraternity. :LOL:

Not kidding.

Hahahaha!!! Too funny. You'd think that the pounding hangover would help you not feel the pains of running. Anyway, at least you finished. :)

The funniest part was that we all finished ahead of at least another 100 people. :lol:

:no: Ok thats just slow :lol:

Hey... I might have even been able to do that!! :lol:

Actually, any walker can do a 5K. Most people walk in between 3-5 miles per hour, which translates to 12-20 minute miles. Since a 5K is 3.1 miles, the times for walkers should fall between 36:07 and 62:00.

Poor DD. ;)

Yes, but we're talking about me here. You have to add at least 3 faints to that (adding 5 minutes for every faint), and please remember that I'd be crawling half the way. :lol:

<edit>

Hey - even better! I could just go in my wheelchair!! :lol2:

</edit>

Originally posted by YesIndeed

Hey - even better! I could just go in my wheelchair!! :lol2:

Actually many people do race in wheelchair's. They are in their own devision and can seriously haul arse sometimes. So that would be cool if you wanted to do that :)

:D Yeah, I know all that. But seriously, high-speed wheelchairs are sooo easy to tip over and cause I can feel my legs it's not very pleasant!!

Ran in another run, the other weekend, and even got an award for the best time in my age group....since I was one of the few who showed up. ;)

hey a winning time is a winning time . . . nice job man, now what was that winning time :)

I did it in 24:07. Kind of hot and humid, that day, but still not bad.

The farthest I've ran is about 7 miles, but that was with a group of people.
I don't know if I could make it 3 miles these days.
I don't mind running, I actually like it but my wife doesn't care for it. She says it gives her shin-splint. :(

Back