What's new

Anyone Camp at Ludington SP in MI

Valerie

Chief Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
Looking to see if anyone has camped at Ludington State Park in Michigan before and could give any recommendations on desirable campgrounds there, they have three different sections. I have been to the park before, but just for day use. Played on the Lake Michigan beach side and also a day playing on Hamlin Lake beach side. It's beautiful and we will be going there this summer to camp for a week. Have to make my reservations this week and was looking for some first hand knowledge of the actual campgrounds. TIA!

No first hand knowledge, we haven't been able to get good sites, since the good ones go so fast. We go north a little further to manistee, which is really nice and smaller.

If we can't get in at Ludington, I was looking at Orchard Beach SP. Or we will also head there for a day trip from Ludington.

Another fun camping trip to do, Val, is the Lake MI Circle Tour. We did it about 5 years ago with the kids & friends of ours with their kids. We went from here to Manitowoc, WI then to Munising, MI in the UP and camped on Lake Superior and saw the Pictured Rock National Lakeshore, then went to Mackinaw, then down through Ludington to where we used to have a cottage. It was 1100 miles round trip! It was fun. The Lake Superior beach has lots of "treasures" for the kids to dig for. Our kids found a lot of cool stuff, like old silverware that had been buried for years...I kept one thing that looks like a flattened candle snuffer. The campground we stayed at was *very* rustic- no showers. The girls were horrified about having to wash up in the lake, but we were only there for 3 days. :giggles:

We have talked about doing the circle tour but I really hate setting up camp/taking down camp every few nights. I much prefer to find a nice place and stay put.

That was a pain...we did a hotel at Mackinaw. That was my compromise to the "no showers" part of Munising. :lol:

Back