anyone know a good recipe for eggplant?

fords8

Hanging Out!
Peak Director
Peak Mediator
Mountaineers
PF Member
Reaction score
My son wants to try this. I have never made or bought one. Anyone have a clue of a good vs bad one and a recipe for it?
TIA

I love eggplant parmigiana.

I peel it, and slice it into about 1/3" slices, and I sprinkle the slices with salt. Dip the pieces in egg wash and then in a mixture of seasoned bread crumbs and parmesan cheese--about 4-1 bread crumbs to cheese. Most people fry it, until browned on both sides, but I bake mine because I'm on a diet, and it will soak up A LOT of oil. If you want to try baking it, spray a nonstick foil lined baking sheet with olive oil spray, and place the coated slices on the pan. Spray the tops and bake at 375 for about 30 minutes or so, turning over halfway--they should be golden brown.

Then I group 2 or three slices together and ladle a bit of spaghetti sauce on top, sprinkle with mozzarella cheese and place under the broiler. Serve with spaghetti.. Yum!!!!

I looooooooooooooove this way and it's so simple.

Cut up the eggplant to make 1/2" disks :)
put them on a pan. Salt and pepper and brush on some olive oil and bake at 350 for about 15-20 minutes. Comes out fantastic. FANTASTIC. Just check to make sure its tender all the way through.

Last week I made Eggplant Parmesan in a process similar to what mistyinca described. I was too hungry to wait for it to finish baking, so instead of baking I pan fried (not deep fried) with a little olive oil. It was yum!

We always pan fried and then baked it with sauce and cheese.

Pan fried eggplant cutlets (with egg wash/bread crumbs), then serve hot on a kaiser roll with fresh baby spinach leaves and vine ripe tomato slices, and fresh mozzarella or provalone. Serve with potato chips. This is great to make in an electric fry pan outdoors on the porch in the summertime.

Or, add 1/4 cup shredded eggplant with 2 cups shredded cabbage and add coleslaw dressing.

Or, use it to replace 1/2 of the zucchini in a zucchuni bread recipe, to make zucchini eggplant bread.

I absolutely love zucchini and summer squash - but you can take the eggplant and toss it in the mulch! The only thing it is good for is soaking up OTHER flavors - it tastes like sponge and it always gets brown and squishy! Ewwwww, spongeplant!!

I appreciate everyone's ideas :) My son does not like vegetables. He will eat a piece or 2 or lettuce. That is it! Not corn, carrots and forget beans or peas. We saw eggplant and he says why don't you ever make that? I said You want to try it? He said sure! If he is willing to try it, I'll make it. I'd love to have a few more foods on the yes he will eat that side. Love picky eaters!

Ewwwww, spongeplant!!

:lol:

I used to really hate eggplant when I was a kid. My dad would say eat it or else no mangoes for you - that would have me gulp it down! Dunno when I started liking eggplant!

My son wants to try this. I have never made or bought one. Anyone have a clue of a good vs bad one and a recipe for it?
TIA
So did he like it? Have you tried to make the veggies disappear in the food. You can add puree of almost anything to stews, soups, sauces, and he will never know they are there. You can use fruits in cakes and cookies and browines and I often used squash in cakes and browines. My kids would never eat it if they could see it, but they got more than they needed..just never had to fight with them. A blender works great to make your own, just cook the veggie or fruit in a little water, when really tender put everything in the blender, never drain the water it has half the good stuff in it, and blend until its puree. Trust me they will never taste it and you may be surprised at how much better some food with taste. A few veggies may need to be strained but that does not take long to do.

In addition to the ideas here (yum -eggplant parm is my favorite), it also makes a great dip. Cut in half, add a little oil on top and S&P and then roast in oven. When done (very soft/roasted), scoop out the insides and either mash with fork or put in food processor or blender. Add unsweetened yogurt and garlic (roasted or raw) and a splash of olive oil. Serve with pita or bread. Yum!!!

Back