What's new

Apple Pie Jam recipe for you to try...

missysid

Mastermind Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
I wanted to share this with you all today. It is so yummy I have ate half a jar already! We did 3 batches and it is easy jam and very forgiving. All set fine and all jars sealed. It makes 6 jelly jars of jam per batch. We are going to use it for Christmas presents in baskets this year. I am not fond of jellys because it has to be just perfect - this jam allowed me to check over homework and do laundry while it was heating.

I put the lemon juice on the apples as I was cutting them - I am a bit slow and it kept them from turning brown. :)

APPLE PIE JAM

4 cups tart apples, peeled and finely chopped
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
4 cups sugar
1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1 box pectin
1/2 teaspoon butter

Add water to chopped apples to measure 4 cups.(This is NOT 4 cups each, but water placed on top of the diced apples to come up to the 4 cup mark.) Place apples and water into large, heavy saucepan. Stir in lemon juice, cinnamon and allspice.

Measure sugars. Stir pectin into fruit. Add butter. Bring mixture to full rolling boil on high heat, stirring constantly. Quickly stir in both sugars. Return to full rolling boil and boil exactly 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Skim off any foam with metal spoon.

Ladle quickly into hot, clean jars, leaving 1/4" headspace. Wipe jar rims and threads. Cover with two-piece lids. Screw bands on finger tight. Process in boiling water bath for 10 minutes

I agree - between this and the beef stew thread - I'm starving!

maybe a nice warm bisquit to put that jam on...

We made whole wheat bread the first time I ate it and then put it on pancakes today. Both were yummy.

This sounds soooooo good, Thanks for sharing!

I wanted to share this with you all today. It is so yummy I have ate half a jar already! We did 3 batches and it is easy jam and very forgiving. All set fine and all jars sealed. It makes 6 jelly jars of jam per batch. We are going to use it for Christmas presents in baskets this year. I am not fond of jellys because it has to be just perfect - this jam allowed me to check over homework and do laundry while it was heating.

I put the lemon juice on the apples as I was cutting them - I am a bit slow and it kept them from turning brown. :)

APPLE PIE JAM

4 cups sugar
1 box pectin
1/2 teaspoon butter

Add water to chopped apples to measure 4 cups.(This is NOT 4 cups each, but water placed on top of the diced apples to come up to the 4 cup mark.) Place apples and water into large, heavy saucepan. Stir in lemon juice, cinnamon and allspice.

Measure sugars. Stir pectin into fruit. Add butter. Bring mixture to full rolling boil on high heat, stirring constantly. Quickly stir in both sugars. Return to full rolling boil and boil exactly 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Skim off any foam with metal spoon.

Ladle quickly into hot, clean jars, leaving 1/4" headspace. Wipe jar rims and threads. Cover with two-piece lids. Screw bands on finger tight. Process in boiling water bath for 10 minutes

Do I need one of those actual "Canner" type pots to do this or can I just boil them in a regular pot? Also, how high do you fill the water? TIA - I'm going to try this hopefully today!

Do I need one of those actual "Canner" type pots to do this or can I just boil them in a regular pot? Also, how high do you fill the water? TIA - I'm going to try this hopefully today!

You can process them in a regular pot, so long as it has a tight fitting cover. Some people put a dishtowel in the bottom of the pot b/c they say it helps with thermal shock and keeps the jars from banging together and breaking. I don't, though, and have never had any problems. You need to keep the cover on the pot while the jars are processing. Also, the rule of thumb is that the water should cover the tops of the jars by at least one inch, and the water should be at a full, rolling boil when you start timing. Another thing--I have granite counters, so I always lay a dishtowel out to place the jars on after they've been in the water bath. Again, helps with thermal shock.

One of my favorite sounds is hearing the 'ping!' of the jars sealing up!

You can process them in a regular pot, so long as it has a tight fitting cover. Some people put a dishtowel in the bottom of the pot b/c they say it helps with thermal shock and keeps the jars from banging together and breaking. I don't, though, and have never had any problems. You need to keep the cover on the pot while the jars are processing. Also, the rule of thumb is that the water should cover the tops of the jars by at least one inch, and the water should be at a full, rolling boil when you start timing. Another thing--I have granite counters, so I always lay a dishtowel out to place the jars on after they've been in the water bath. Again, helps with thermal shock.

One of my favorite sounds is hearing the 'ping!' of the jars sealing up!
Thanks! I'm off to get the ingredients and am going to try this!!

If you use a regular pot instead of a canner please be careful. This will mean you have to lower the jars either by hand (Bad Idea) or with a jar lifter. You increase the risk of a jar cracking when it hits the boiling water or water buring you. With a water bath canner you have a rack to lower the jars into the water.

Also when you remove the jars make sure not to move them for at least 6-8 hours. I normally leave mine on the counter over night. The next day remove the rings and wash in hot soapy water. Replace rings and store.

APPLE PIE JAM

4 cups sugar
1 box pectin
1/2 teaspoon butter

Thank you for this! It sounds delicious!!!! It's a great time of year for it now too!

This sounds good and not that bad on sugar.I mean compared to my 7 cups for blueberry peach.:lol:

OK - I made it. My question is, I never heard any "popping" of the lid noises.......I have taken them out and heard noises as I was taking them out. I've pressed on the lids and they do not pop back which leads me to believe that they are sealed - right? Anywho - they are on the counter until tomorrow morning like suggested.....I hope they turned out. :)

poidoman you should be ok. Did you wait to press on the lids until they were cooled out completly? Just check them tomorrow for a tight seal. Also by removing the bands and washing them - you do not have to be gentle it allows you to double check the lid tightness. If you are in doubt of a jar just use it first and make sure to put it in the fridge.

With most of my jams and Jellys they pop as I take them out or shortly after. Other items like chicken, soups, green beans which are all pressure canned take longer and up to an hour to hear all the pings and pops.

poidoman you should be ok. Did you wait to press on the lids until they were cooled out completly? Just check them tomorrow for a tight seal. Also by removing the bands and washing them - you do not have to be gentle it allows you to double check the lid tightness. If you are in doubt of a jar just use it first and make sure to put it in the fridge.

With most of my jams and Jellys they pop as I take them out or shortly after. Other items like chicken, soups, green beans which are all pressure canned take longer and up to an hour to hear all the pings and pops.

Thank you so much!! I think they're sealed because I could barely get one of them open this morning! lol My ds wanted to try it before he went to school and said it was the best thing he ever had!! Thanks again!!

Back