What's new

ASP4DOS.COM???

Diesel

Peak Forum Legend
PF Member
Reaction score
Anyone know what this file is and what it does?
It caused my girlfriend's computer to lock up on boot all afternoon. I had to rem out the line LH device=c:\Windows\ASP4DOS.COM, and all was well.

This occurred not immediately after I reinstalled her Diamond Sonic Impact S90.
Prior to that, I had swapped her mobo and CPU out with no consequences, but she couldn't find her install disc for the Sonic Impact, so I had to spend 3 hours downloading the 14MB install file on my 28.8 modem (bad phone lines that won't give me a connection over 28.8) from Diamond's slow-**** FTP site.

It's all working now, but I want to know what this file is and why it's being loaded on startup.

TIA

------------------
From another BBS:
"hmm... Cyrix III, huh? You can put syrup on sh*t, but that don't make it pancakes."

That File is for the dos support for the sound card, in the old days where games were in dos that was required but rarely used now a days but they still include it

Shoot, my girlfriend has never used DOS in her life. Probably wouldn't know what to do with it if her life depended on it. Would've been nice if there was an option not to install the **** thing in the first place.

------------------
From another BBS:
"hmm... Cyrix III, huh? You can put syrup on sh*t, but that don't make it pancakes."

Wassup, Dan?

I think that file is installed with Vortex chipset drivers. I have a couple A3D cards and the file is always present in those systems. In non-vortex machines, the file is not there.

D

Hey, Derek. Good to see you made the move over here.

Anyway, I can't believe I forgot to post an update.

Yes, it's a Vortex chipset, and the file is for DOS support.
I found that the issue has to do with the ASP4DOS.COM call in Autoexec.bat is too close to the call for Norton's Virus scanner. Someone posted on some board that if you move the file more than one line away from the virus scanner line, it resolves the issue. Strangely enough, it worked and has been working ever since.

Apparently, ASP4DOS doesn't like being on the line before or the line after NAV in autoexec.bat.
Weird!

------------------
From another BBS:

You know, I had to call Norton tech support on that over a year ago when I got my MX300. Man that confused the hell out of me. When they told me the resolution I chewed them out for not having it on their web page. Granted, the card was new, but apparently it was already a known issue. And you know what? I didn't feel the least bit of remorse for berating the techie, because I spent a year and a half doing HP's dirty work. Besides, I asked for the manager after I had finished with the tech. I then proceeded to rip the manager up one side and down the other. It probably didn't resolve anything because every company outsources these days, but they refunded my call
smile.gif

Back