What's new

ASPI Troubles

Diesel

Peak Forum Legend
PF Member
Reaction score
Maybe someone can help me figure out how to get around this...

I've been having a problem with my system for a while. Symptoms where that some CD rippers were misbehaving, namely MusicMatch Jukebox. Kept giving me errors that it could only rip in analog at 1x, while AudioCatalyst was able to rip digitally at much faster speeds. I was also able to use RioPort to rip a few discs with no apparent problems.

Got a new Plextor 12/4/32 burner to replace my Smart & Friendly CD-Rocket (no problems previously). The PlexManager software choked upon reboot, stating that no SCSI host adapters were found.

Traced the problem down to the ASPI layer being installed incorrectly. Downloaded Adaptec's ASPI installer, which fixed the problem with MusicMatch, and also allowed AudioCatalyst to rip at significantly faster speeds. It also alleviated the problems with PlexManager, which now works.
Only problem is that now, I get a blue screen on startup, citing a problem with APIX.VXD. This VXD is part of the ASPI layer. The system is recoverable and usuable, so the blue screen is only a slight annoyance for now, with no apparent ill effects.

Here's where it gets funny:
If I restore APIX.VXD from the Win98 CD, the blue screen goes away, but the problems with MusicMatch resurface. If I reinstall the ASPI layer to fix the issues, the blue screen comes back.

Any ideas?!?

------------------
From another BBS:
"hmm... Cyrix III, huh? You can put syrup on sh*t, but that don't make it pancakes."

[Edited by Diesel Dan @ June 06, 2000 (edited 2 times)]

Dan, I'd disable the Plex Software from loading at Windows startup and see if that helps. I had a similar problem with NT 4 Wks, SP5. Occasionally at boot, the aspi layer didn't load before the Plextor software, and I'd get a no scsi adapters found. Puzzled me for a bit as I have 2 SCSI cards in that machine.
smile.gif

You also might check Plextor's site for upgraded firmware on your burner.

Ski Bum

The Plextor Manager software works when I update the ASPI layer, but I still get the blue screens because of whatever differences there are with APIX.VXD.

When I use the older version of APIX.VXD, I don't get the blue screens, but Plextor Manager, AudioCatalyst, and MusicMatch Jukebox don't work.

Keep in mind that the blue screens that I get due to APIX.VXD are random and occasional, and don't happen with any regularity. They pop up when they want to, usually on startup.

------------------
From another BBS:
"hmm... Cyrix III, huh? You can put syrup on sh*t, but that don't make it pancakes."

A search on deja.com (usenet) turned up quite a few possibilities.
http://www.deja.com/dnquery.xp?QRY=apix.vxd&ST=MS&svcclass=dncurrent&DBS=2

I am assuming that you're using aspi layer build 1021, so it sounds like you have some sort of software conflict. Do you have Take2, DirectCD, Nero, WinONCD or some of the more notorious packages for generating conflicts installed? The 4 that I mentioned are well known for not playing nice with other burning software.

Even though you say the PlexManager software is working, I would still disable it at startup even for no other reason than to rule it out. That's when you said the blue screen occurs, and there is a lot of stuff going on when Windows loads anyway. You can always load it from the Start Menu or make a shortcut to it on your desktop.

HTH,

Ski Bum

(edit, I can't even spell ny nick, so why should you listen to me?)
smile.gif

[Edited by Ski Bum @ June 11, 2000 (edited 1 time)]

I don't currently, and never previously, have had any of those software packages installed on my PC, for specifically the reasons that you mentioned.
They don't play well.

And, I have removed PlexManager from Startup. I only started it when I was making changes to the ASPI layer. Same deal... with the older APIX.VXD, it doesn't work. With the newer one it works, but I have to deal with the occasional BSOD.

------------------
From another BBS:

Back