• 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • Dash salt
  • Praline Topping, recipe follows
  • Maple syrup
Directions

Slice French bread into 20 slices, 1-inch each. (Use any extra bread for garlic toast or bread crumbs). Arrange slices in a generously buttered 9 by 13-inch flat baking dish in 2 rows, overlapping the slices. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, half-and-half, milk, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt and beat with a rotary beater or whisk until blended but not too bubbly. Pour mixture over the bread slices, making sure all are covered evenly with the milk-egg mixture. Spoon some of the mixture in between the slices. Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.
The next day, preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Spread Praline Topping evenly over the bread and bake for 40 minutes, until puffed and lightly golden. Serve with maple syrup.

Praline Topping:

• 1/2 pound (2 sticks) butter
  • 1 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 1 cup chopped pecans
  • 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and blend well. Makes enough for Baked French Toast Casserole.

That sounds delicious!! I will def be making this soon!! Thx!

I've done a similar baked french toast recipe for a few years, but the one I have calls for a loaf of cinnamon raisin bread. Smells amazing when it cooks! I usually try to make it Christmas Eve and the night before Thanksgiving....smells great while we open presents, and on Thanksgiving it feels like a special treat but requires no effort since I'm already busy cooking other stuff.

Oh, and I cut WAY back on the butter and sugar in the topping and it still tastes great.

We make something similar that we call "bread pudding", usually with a few days old bread.

Sounds great! I've made a similar one that I found on allrecipes.

I made something very similar to this (had it at a bed and breakfast), but when I cook it....its all gooey...and not in a good way...the french toast is not cooked all the way inside but the outside looks done!!! Will have to try it again, with your recipe =)

I made something very similar to this (had it at a bed and breakfast), but when I cook it....its all gooey...and not in a good way...the french toast is not cooked all the way inside but the outside looks done!!! Will have to try it again, with your recipe =)

It's because the bread soaks up all that egg mixture it comes out like a custard almost. DH hates that part so I eliminate the milk and only use 6 eggs. I also bake it without the praline topping for 15 min then add it and finish baking. He likes the "crunchy" parts.

Thanks for the advice. I have had similar results to what kensbaby described; I'll have to try it your way, allbluezoo!

It's because the bread soaks up all that egg mixture it comes out like a custard almost. DH hates that part so I eliminate the milk and only use 6 eggs. I also bake it without the praline topping for 15 min then add it and finish baking. He likes the "crunchy" parts.

Thanks, I will try it that way...I dont like custard like french toast....blah!!!

Back