What's new

Brandon Roy planning to make comeback

deloxon

Active Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
Former Portland Trail Blazers guard, Brandon Roy, has thought about returning to the game after retiring prior to the 2011-12 season due to numerous knee injuries, according to ProBasketballTalk.

“It’s the truth. It’s really hard being so far away from the game. I spend time watching Jamal (Crawford) and following all of his games; Will (Conroy) and Tre (Simmons) are both doing their thing, so it’s driving me to wanna come back out there.” Roy told US Basket, “If the treatment I’ve been looking into can work, I believe there’s a good chance you will see Brandon Roy back hoopin’.”

According to sources close to the player, regardless of his knee problems, Roy’s decision to retire wasn’t all health related. “There’s something to it, but it’s not the right time for me to get into it right now,” Roy said. “I’ve been doing some treatment and I’m trying to leave the window open to returning to basketball.”
Portland wanted him to retire instead of having to deal with the negative media that would've came with them not giving him a role on the team and using the amnesty clause on him.

He has arthritic knees without both meniscuses.

Possibly hes going to get the "Kobe treatment" and/or get a meniscus transplant... :p

You know, it's a real shame.

It seems all of the really special athletes are getting knee injuries all over the place. Especially in basketball.

In a way, I can understand why some of these kids don't complete college and go straight to the nba if possible. You never know just how long you'll have to play.

Ok, before I get yelled at, I am in NO WAY saying to not finish college lol

The whole Brandon Roy thing is really a bummer. The dude is nasty. He had that great fourth quarter last year with no knees, imagine what he could do with knees. He'd probably be a top ten player in the league if healthy.

Not to mention the hardship that continues to follow Portland. Sam Bowie, Greg Oden, and Brandon Roy.

I have a hard time believing he would command a lot of money, but he would have some decent upside if he could stay healthy.

Hope it works out for him. B-Roy is flat out awesome and to see him have to retire because of bad knees sucks. Im keeping my fingers crossed.
Portland also deserve better, they have always been plagued by injuries.

I have a hard time believing he would command a lot of money, but he would have some decent upside if he could stay healthy.

That's how it is with most of these players. They can be top anything...as long as their health stays up to par.

All the more reason they should get the necessary surgeries when needed instead of having this "ill play through it" mentality.

I'm not surprised, when I first heard Roy retired I didn't think it was for good. He is to young and to talented to let all that go to waste. I think him taking the season off was the best thing for him, and I expect him to return healthy and ready to light up the scoreboard!

He should take his time in recovering and with surgery. He's not THAT old, plus he needs money somehow right? (jokes)
Roy is incredibly talented, I remember him scoring 52 against the Suns. That is a great performance, considering the props we give him today.

His knees are bone on bone. I'd rather him not come back and destroy his body even more

His knees are bone on bone. I'd rather him not come back and destroy his body even more

Well that is his choice after all, but he was a great player, and I think it would be nice to see him back. Now as for the surgery, he couldn't do it quick enough. If he wants to come back, he needs to be done with this treatment ASAP and he might have a chance for the 2012-2013 season.

That team can't catch a break. It's very sad to see players have to end their career on something like this. I wonder what else he's able to do to make him money.

He was one of the best guards in the league (especially at scoring) when he played healthy. I believe he can still help lead a team. If he can get healthy he could be a key piece to a title contender.

Imagine a Portland now with a fit and firing Roy and Oden. They would be right up there, still they are competitive and deserve some luck in the future!

Yeah I have to agree with everyone saying this team never gets a break. I mean this team was at one time one of the better teams in the league. Like back when Rasheed Wallace was younger and on the team and they had Damon Stoudameire.

But ever since those days gone by, this team has been in hell.

Poor guy, between him and Greg Odon they have had the worst luck. If these guys were healthy and things didn't go the way they did, they would have been a powerhouse for years.

Yeah I have to agree with everyone saying this team never gets a break. I mean this team was at one time one of the better teams in the league. Like back when Rasheed Wallace was younger and on the team and they had Damon Stoudameire.

But ever since those days gone by, this team has been in hell.

They were a contender when they had a prime Rasheed Wallace. They had other decent players like Dale Davis and Zach Randolf, but they've been in rough shape ever since then, I think they also were the team who drafted Sabastien Telfair.

If he does make the successful comeback, I'm wondering what his game would look like. Considering his supposed injuries, I doubt he will continue to be a slasher-scorer type he used to be.

They were a contender when they had a prime Rasheed Wallace. They had other decent players like Dale Davis and Zach Randolf, but they've been in rough shape ever since then, I think they also were the team who drafted Sabastien Telfair.

LOL Telfair....yeah that wasn't such a good idea. But yeah that's my point. Back in those days, they, much like the Kings were one of the teams that could have stood in the way of the Laker three peat.

Although I am not a fan of the blazers, I've always been a huge fan of Brandon Roy. He plays the game with a flow that reminds me of Clyde, and his humble personality makes him a great teammate. It's sad to see such a talent break down, while the rest of the league hands max contracts to some players that clearly don't deserve it. Best of luck! Here's to Roy returning back to his old form!

For a first round pick, I don't think Oden was worth it. It sucks with his injury and all, but he didn't put numbers up.

Back