What's new

Buying a Used Car Tips

bileinspection

New Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
When buying a car, make sure that you consider dealers or stores that are credible. This is to protect you from scams. It will be better if you will buy a used car from a person whom you trust. Nevertheless, there are many reputable stores and car dealers wherein you can buy a used car that looks and performs as a brand new one.

The first thing that you have to check in the used car is the exterior of the car. Vehicle inspection should always start with this. Check the car if there are scratches, cracks, and dents. See if there are obvious previous paint work, chipped paint, and broken glasses of the windows. Also check the condition of the hood and the tires. While these problems can be easily remedied, it somehow reflects the way the car was used before and it can warn you that the interior might be worse.

When buying a car, make sure that you consider dealers or stores that are credible. This is to protect you from scams. It will be better if you will buy a used car from a person whom you trust. Nevertheless, there are many reputable stores and car dealers wherein you can buy a used car that looks and performs as a brand new one.

The first thing that you have to check in the used car is the exterior of the car. Vehicle inspection should always start with this. Check the car if there are scratches, cracks, and dents. See if there are obvious previous paint work, chipped paint, and broken glasses of the windows. Also check the condition of the hood and the tires. While these problems can be easily remedied, it somehow reflects the way the car was used before and it can warn you that the interior might be worse.

and doing simple things like run your fingers in the door jambs, trunk jambs and hood to feel for overspray/visually inspect where possibly it could of been wrecked in the past..I bought my 2006 GTO with 11,000 miles from a dealership and they are one of the most reputable GM dealers in the state. They had a full service record history of the car too. The original owner thought he was too old and it was time to get into something more for his age.

I normally buy cars that are 10 years older or more mostly because a) I'm broke and b) they're cheaper. :D

At that age you don't really worry about dings and scratches by far the most important thing to do is take it out for a ride. Hearing it run is good but not good enough. Getting it on the road and moving will show you any suspension problems, transmission problems, etc. Probably the best indicator of how decent the car is to see how she acts under hard acceleration and hard stops.

You cannot expect a car with 100k on it to accelerate to highway speeds as fast a new car but it should still be able to get out of it's own way. ;)

Thank you guys for sharing your thoughts and personal tips in buying used car. It saves me alot of money buying used cars.

used car can be as long it dont have white smoke . when you test the used car dont use the air condition ,so just turn off the air condition and open the window then drive it . listen carefully if there any sound on the road. :D this other tips :)

I normally buy cars that are 10 years older or more mostly because a) I'm broke and b) they're cheaper. :D

At that age you don't really worry about dings and scratches by far the most important thing to do is take it out for a ride. Hearing it run is good but not good enough. Getting it on the road and moving will show you any suspension problems, transmission problems, etc. Probably the best indicator of how decent the car is to see how she acts under hard acceleration and hard stops.

You cannot expect a car with 100k on it to accelerate to highway speeds as fast a new car but it should still be able to get out of it's own way. ;)

I used to think this way, but I realized it's not worth it. That is unless your a mechanic. Then you can fix a lot of stuff on your own. Otherwise ur stuck forking over $ to get even the smallest repairs

Back