What's new

can you be too old for music?

ran

Established Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
like, we all know that certain types of music is geared towards certain age groups. but can somebody be too old for a certain type of music. of course, kids and "educational" songs are, for the most part, annoying, but you gotta admit, some of them have catchy tunes. can somebody be too old to listen to certain songs?

Age is only in your mind. If you don't feel too old for something, no reason to feel guilty about it. ;)

Sometimes, though, as time passes, you might find that your taste in music changes. Things you used to like, you suddenly begin to dislike, and vice versa. With food, it's the same! ;)

No such thing as being too old for a certain genre of music! :) Listen to whatever you enjoy.

Monster: I know what you're talking about, and I have noticed that with myself, especially when I reached my twenties- some of the stuff I used to like as a teen sometimes makes makes me want to cover my ears! Some of the tastes I have kept, while others have changed. I now find myself sometimes appreciating different music than I once did.

At 56 years old I still enjoy ac/dc, ccr, bob segar. My music tastes haven't changed much in the 30 years...

The funny thing is that when I'm an elderly man years from now, I'll be listening to hip-hop music from the 1990's and the 2000's. I'll be an old man listening to that kind of music - ha!

^Got me thinking- since us relatively young people have grown up around hip-hop, maybe it will become the standard "old people" music in about 50 years from now? I mean, what some very young people classify as "old people" music, is actually just music from a long time ago. Music changes over the years, so hip-hop will most likely become very different, or just faze out altogether, meaning that someday it will sound like "old" music to the young folk.

I'm 24, and love some of the music that was from the 60's and 70's! :) I used to like hip-hop as well when I was a teen, but not so much anymore. Like I said, you keep a lot of your musical tastes over the years, but some of them are very likely to change.

I've grown up around electronic music, metal, and pop & rock music from the 70ies & 80ies, and I still like some of that.

With the advent of electronic instruments, and music made on computers in the 70ies-90ies, it becomes ever harder to audibly assign an era to the music ... even the "cheap" electronic sounds from the 70ies & 80ies are having a revival b/c they're favorites among electronic musicians, and thus are present even in modern pop music. So, some modern songs like Gotye's & Kimbra's "Somebody that I used to know" or artists like Lana Del Rey or Caro Emerald are played on adult contemporary radio.

Also, guitar music like metal and rock are often similar to previous decades nowadays ...

I often wondered how young people know how to distinguish modern songs from earlier songs ... is this still possible? I mean, music of the 50ies and 60ies and even the 70ies had a distinguished sound, that was easily detectable, but ever since the 80ies, it should have become harder ...

I am enjoying exploring new types of music and still have my teenage favorites. LOL!!! I don't think you are ever too old for any type of music. Listen to it if it makes you feel happy. I am learning twinkle twinkle little star on my acoustic guitar. I am 47 years old. Never too old. No one I believe, has the right to to tell you what you can and can't listen to.

I often wondered how young people know how to distinguish modern songs from earlier songs ... is this still possible? I mean, music of the 50ies and 60ies and even the 70ies had a distinguished sound, that was easily detectable, but ever since the 80ies, it should have become harder ...

I know what you mean- I can always tell whether a song is from the 50s, 60s, 70s, and 80s, but after the 80s, it does get hard to distinguish- the only reason that I can distinguish between a song from the 90s and a song from now is only because of memory, remembering that a particular song was from the 90s- the sound isn't really any different.

My 88 year old grandmother isn't too old for music except for one major problem: she can't hear music anymore! All she hears is distorion.

If I couldn't hear music, I'd go crazy. I'm glad to say that she hasn't, however.

o no, thats horrible, id be so lost without my hearing. its like that question, which sense would u give up? always smell, man, always smell. i couldn't life without my hearing, i love music too much.
and yea, panache, i can't wait for my kids to make fun of me for listening to a certain kind of music, calling it old. i have a feeling that we might be going bac to a techno era of music tho, with dubstep and everything

My grandmother recently got new hearing aids that actually work. Hence, she can now hear music. How she was able to put up with not being able to hear music for so long without going crazy is beyond me. I could never stand it for more than a week, much less the last 5 or 6 years.

I personally don't believe so. I guess it depends on genre, I'm trying to picture my grandpa listening to RnB..........I can't really imagine that happening. :sleep:

No no. there is no age for music and cartoons. That's what i think. I will definitely think that when i am old i will dance in the same way like i do now.

Interesting question. You're never too old to enjoy anything, and I'd say especially music. If you have not the gift to make it, then thank God we have the ability to enjoy. I think genres are limited by time. For example, I love metal. I am however, somewhat stuck in the 80s. The nu-wave does nothing for me. Classical music is a beautiful sound. Very powerful emotions. It's still going. There are new composers. I'm glad metal is still going, even though it has changed. Maybe change is a good thing, maybe I need to embrace the new stuff, which is already old stuff by now?

^ Me neither- everyone likes some form of music and gets pleasure out of listening to it, and that is regardless of age :)

I had a friend who didn't care about music, until he started listening to it back in our high school days, that is. Since then, he's come to love it.

Back