What's new

cel2 on abit be6???

SoNiK

New Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
i have an old be6 . with cel366@453 i think. cant do 550. i dunno why maybe the hd. but i want to upgrade. i figured that my best bet would be a cel2. probably 566. so would 566 be worth it over the 533? do they overclock good on be6's? i figured i cant get 550e's cuz my mobo couldnt handle 133mhz bus. . what slocket to get? iwill? abit? thanx,.

There are a couple of mistakes with your ideas.

First off, you would need to get a PowerLeap converter in order to make the Cel2 run in that board. Period.

Second, the PIII 550e runs by default on a 100MHz FSB, not 133.

The Cel2's do overclock well, but no better than the PIII 'e' Coppermines do. At the same clock speeds, the PIIIs are significantly better performers than the Cel2's. Also, the problem you get into with the Cel2's is the abnormally high clock multipliers. Changing the 566 to 100MHz FSB would be a HUGE overclock, and probably will cause stability problems if you can even reach it at all.

IMHO, go with the 550e or some other speed PIII 'e' Coppermine. You don't want one with an 'eb' or 'b', since those run at 133fsb.
There's much more headroom for the overclocker with the PIII, and better performance when all other things are equal.

------------------
From another BBS:
"hmm... Cyrix III, huh? You can put syrup on sh*t, but that don't make it pancakes."

what is this powerleap thing? i never heard of it. iknow that they;re at 100. but if i o/c it i would hafta go to 133. i figured i cant use 550e's cuz they're already at 100 bus. and if i o/c it it would hafta go up like 115 or 133. which is way too high. so i figured my puter can handle at 110 at most. so 100 for 566 is good which is 850. i thought i saw in a review in anantech or somewhere that they used the old be6 with cel2-566. i dont want to u\g a motherboard. just a chip and slocket. which i still think im going for cel2. i might get a nother puter with another mobo and use Cu on that one.

You don't want to upgrade your mobo, but you might get another computer?!?

Apparently, you only hear what you want to hear. The plain fact is that you'd be lucky to get the Celeron 2 566 to run on 100MHz because of the high multiplier. It's possible, but for what you're going to have to do to cool the thing, and considering that the gains you'll get are nowhere close to what you'd get overclocking a Coppermine PIII, is it really worth it?
Are you buying a new CPU for the sole purpose of overclocking it, or do you actually want it to be usuable?

You seem to think you know what's best, so if you don't intend on following advice, don't ask for it. If you're actually interested in finding out why what you're looking to do will or won't work and why, I suggest you read up a little more before you spend any money.

------------------
From another BBS:
"hmm... Cyrix III, huh? You can put syrup on sh*t, but that don't make it pancakes."

what is this powerleap thing?
http://www.powerleap.com

It converts the older celeron PPGA to PIII & Celeron II FCGA. The pin arrangement is different on the flip chips than on the PPGA chips, but they will fit in the same socket.

i never heard of it. iknow that they;re at 100. but if i o/c it i would hafta go to 133. i figured i cant use 550e's cuz they're already at 100 bus. and if i o/c it it would hafta go up like 115 or 133. which is way too high.

Why is that way too high? You might need to get some PC 133 RAM to make it work at a 133 FSB though. I have a 600e running at 6x133 on a BX6-R2 board, and it has all the cards that supposedly hate an overclocked PCI bus, i.e., 2 nics, Adaptec 2940UW SCSI card, and a no-name SCSI card that came with the scanner.

so i figured my puter can handle at 110 at most. so 100 for 566 is good which is 850. i thought i saw in a review in anantech or somewhere that they used the old be6 with cel2-566.

****, d00d. a 33% overclock with an 8½ mutiplier is outrageous. Would you please supply a link to the test? I'd sure like to see it.

i dont want to u\g a motherboard. just a chip and slocket. which i still think im going for cel2. i might get a nother puter with another mobo and use Cu on that one.

I'm with Dan here, and I sure don't understand not upgrading your motherboard if that's what you think is holding you back, but you will buy another computer? Maybe it's just us...
smile.gif

Ski Bum

I would recommend the Cel 2 533 with a MSI converter card. You should almost be guaranteed 800. Go with the golden orb cooler and you won't lose any memory slots. To check other suggestions try http://207.229.137.213/cpudb/Showdata.cfm . You can find the cpu's for around $120 and the card for $13 at Onvia. The orb should run around $12. Good luck
smile.gif

Diesel Dan: There are a couple of mistakes with your ideas.

The BE-6 is a slot 1 board: no powerleap neos needed here, just a slocket as SoNiK said. The new Abit slocket is probably a good choice.

And despite the celeron II's inordinately high multiplier (8.5 for the 566), most have been known to move to 100MHz fsb without much trouble, often just using retail fans. So if you plop a golden orb or something on it, it should jump to 857 just fine.

SoNiK, the hd wouldn't be causing you problems generally, but when overclocking, do make sure you don't have any critical data on the hard drive because when upping the fsb, you overclock EVERYTHING, including the PCI bus, and that sometimes corrupts data on IDE hard drives.

Generally, overclocking problems are caused by either the processor itself, video cards, or in my case, my network card. Also, my dvd decoder card refuses to run 12% overclocked, so I have to stay right around the magic numbers (66 and 100MHz for BX).

Your system may allow you to go higher, even all the way up to 133MHz, and if you can do that, you'll have the fastest 133MHz platform there is, better than i820/840!
smile.gif

[Edited by Namba @ June 15, 2000 (edited 1 time)]

Back