What's new

Cell Chip?

Bluehemp123

Active Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
April 18, 2003 - Online news sites are reporting that the spring 2003 issue of Electronic Design Chain, an electronics trade magazine, features PlayStation creator Ken Kutaragi on the cover, and also contains very surprising news about the Playstation 3.
According to the reports, Kutaragi mentions that final production of the "Cell" chip, originally thought to be used in the PlayStation 3, may not be ready until 2007. He also confirms that the CPU in the PlayStation 3 will in fact not be the Cell processor, contrary to earlier reports.

With a targeted PlayStation 3 launch in 2005/2006, delayed production of the Cell processor may have caused Sony to find a different solution for their next-generation console. Check back with IGN for more news as it happens.

Source - PS2.IGN

I kept telling people that they will not be using the cell but nobody listened :p .

I knew they couldn't get the cell chip ready before at least 2006 ...

The wait will be well worth it, if you think about the cell's capabilities. It's going to modernize gaming so much, it'll be a whole different experience. For the better of course.

what is the cell chip...lol (ive been busy lately)

Its a CPU made by IBM(mainly) and Toshiba. Sony paid them quite a large amount of money to create it. The most recent news say it is going to be around 3Ghz(Which I'm still queezy about if they can do that), because remember the first time Sony talked about the cell chip? They said it was going to be atleast 1000 times faster/powerful than PS2 CPU(Which is impossible right now or in the next 30+ years) Than it went down to a 100 times faster/powerful, and now its down to 3Ghz. lol .... (I think it will go down quite a bit lower than that too....)

Yeah and it's suppose to be a 100 times smaller too. They are developing microscopic sized peices of data I believe. If Gamerfan is not lying in their magazines...

yea, i think most people partially knew it was going to be too good to be true...but that doesn't mean that whatever sony has planned now isn't going to be just as good.

Haha I knew it was going to happen Sony is a hype machine. It's going to be the same or inferior to XBOX Next. I just hope the both don't have that Tivo crap in it.

Inferior to the XBox graphically maybe... but with the game developers backing the two consoles, PS2 wins hands down, as will PS3 :p

Only thing I don't understand about processors is: Isn't it possible to tie several into one system, letting them delegate the work, and hence working faster?:|

Yes its called a duel processor but if you want a board that will support it your gonna have to be willing to pay through the roof. Doubt they'll ever do it with a console, Sure its twice the power but its also twice the size and cost.....not worth, and the end result would be a brilliant console with a price that doesnt match......and it would be abit hard to program what processor will do what.
people now Know that you dont have to pay a large fee to get a good console....just look at the GC, here in england its going for £78 with a game......why would you pay £199 for a ps2 with a bunch of average platinum titles picked for you when you can get a cheap GC and with the extra money buy the games u want.

Because the cheap platinum games are better than the Gamecube games you could buy :) I thank you :p

Back