What's new

Death with Dignity

ennui

Legend Of The Universe
PF Member
Reaction score
Long [very, very long on the mrsmom scale] & quite thoughtful article in today's paper discussing both sides of the Death With Dignity Act that will most likely be on the ballot in November here. This is already law in Oregon & Washington state.

http://www.boston.com/lifestyle/articles/2012/04/29/death_with_dignity_act/?page=full

I don't understand why our society honors & loves our pets enough to spare them from a painful, humiliating, slow demise when their time comes, yet humans in 48 states aren't allowed to choose a peaceful end for themselves when facing a terminal illness.

This used to be the norm. People were "let go" in the name of humanity.

This stopped with the advent of incentivized managed care, the overpowering interests of big Pharma, and huge civil liability awards against the doctors to the families.

Without comprehensive tort reform, this law has no teeth and is basically useless. At best it legally permits suicide (and not the assisted type, either).

I hope this passes. I think people deserve to have the comfort of knowing that they can end their life if the pain gets too bad. Also, most people who do go through the procedure to get the pill to die, which is LOOOOOOONG, do not even use it. It is just calming to them to know that they have an out if needed/wanted.

Back