Dehydrated foods...

fords8

Hanging Out!
Peak Director
Peak Mediator
Mountaineers
PF Member
Reaction score
do you dehydrate? Any tips? Any foods that you have done that you LOVE? Any surprises? Any recipes?

Talk to me peeps! :)

TIA :hmm?:

I'll place my order.......I would love some homemade beef jerky pwease. :)

My mom would make fruit roll ups with ours. She made a puree out of sugar and strawberries (I'm not sure if it was cooked or not, I'll ask her) and would dehydrate it. YUM. We also did a lot of apple rings and pineapple.

I've done lots of dehydrating in the past; I have about 5 or 6 of the dehydrators, picked up at various garage sales. If your family loves fruit leathers, that's the easiest thing of all to make. Take your favorite jar of applesauce and just pour into the plastic tray that sits on the other trays (usually one comes with each set). If you want other leathers, just puree any combinations. Drying times depends on humidity. I've dried venison jerky, bananas are fast and delicious (just slice, don't make too thick or thin) with no preservatives, apples are peeled and cored then sliced. I add them into large containers of oatmeal with cinnamon and ground flax meal for fast breakfasts.

One thing I find that helps is spraying Pam on the trays before putting the food on them - otherwise it's tough to pry up sometimes.

Oh, one VERY important thing not to dehydrate - Mushrooms! You cannot imagine how horrible the smell will be. And it takes forever with that disgusting smell in the house.

Thanks guys! I am most excited about pineapple and Turkey Jerky.. YUM!

Leathers sound YUMMY! I woulda def tried Mushrooms... thanks for the imput on those!

Keep them tips coming!

Thanks guys! I am most excited about pineapple and Turkey Jerky.

Um Piggy check your glasses.........I said BEEF jerky. :biggrin:

I dry currents from our currant bushes. Last year we had a huge crop of cherries, so I dried those for the first time. Yummy. We use the dried fruit for baking breads, ****ins and scones. I have done bananas, peaches and apples for snacking on.

Definitely use pam.

Have you ever had Pork Jerky?? :drool:

Sometimes we dehydrate raw nuts (almonds and pecans mostly), after soaking them overnight in salt water. They're much easier to digest this way and I have to say, they taste better than raw or roasted nuts with a great crunch, little sodium. They store well without going stale. Dehydrated pecans are one of the most delicious foods I've ever tasted; they take on this rich butter-like quality but with that crispiness, too. I can't hardly explain it.

easy to do, apples I leave the skin on, brine beef or pork (marinate over night) pineapples, peaches, plums, banannas, kiwis (this one I love) cheeries. Make sure that you do a try of each and check and pull trays out when you are happy with the results. I live my fruit a little chewy and hard. Best of luck!

One year I tried drying fresh herbs from the garden and it did not turn out well. The oregano had no taste or scent. I ended up with a ton and it looked like I was drying/selling weed.

Would love to dry dill though. If you get a bunch of blueberries they dry nice and taste awesome.

We normally run 2 dehydrators 24/7 in the garden season. My favorite new one is dried cantelope. Oh so sweet and easy to do. Still have a few jars of that in the pantry.

Just about anything can be dried. I suggest this book if you are just starting.

Dry it-- you'll like it! : a book about food dehydration / by Gen MacManiman

We try to dry our extra garden produce when I can not get it all canned. You can dry just about anything.

:bliss: My dehydrator is HERE!!! :bliss:

I do the mushrooms....they don't smell that bad.
Especially morel mushrooms...they smell great

Haven't had much luck with herbs, but we LOVE apple chips and fruit leather. Whenever there is just-past fruit on sale or a good deal on frozen fruit, I puree it and add it to unsweetened applesauce. Delish and both the apples and fruit leather make your house smell fantastic. Happy dehydrating! :)

I don't know where to find MORELs.... I am not a hunter.. LOL :lol:

Back