What's new

Do I play with fire?

Chimpi

Chief Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
*points to what they just said and nods*

------------------
Sit back, buckle up, and strap yourself in...this will be a bumpy ride on the joy ride!
Hey, it's the least I can do, and you know that's all I do
Justin's Swing Palace

Oh, well... I put in the order, but it's on backorder.
So, at least I get a few extra days with a working computer.
smile.gif

------------------
"It's always funny until someone gets hurt, and then it's just hilarious."

Dan what card are you running right now. I am gonna be in the market for a new soundcard soon. I might just be able to take it off your hands.

------------------
Mother Should I Trust The Government - Pink Floyd

SB Live Value
It's a good card, and virtually identical to the new card, but it doesn't support LiveDrive, which is a major selling point for me, and I'll be getting the 5.1 support, which is nice because I occasionally watch movies on my PC.

------------------

Here's the great question...
I now have my system working to a point where I'm satisfied, save the fact that I have a few games which lockup my system under Win2k, but they did under 98SE as well.

I got the whole sound card situation resolved.

However, I've found a decent deal on a new soundcard, the SB Live Platinum 5.1. The main reason I want the card is for the Live Drive.

But do I tempt fate and start playing around with the sound card now, when I just got everything working just right?

------------------

The old axium of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" could apply here, but...do what you want to do. After all, any tweaker who is a real tweaker ALWAYS fixes that which isn't broken.
tongue.gif

Go for it.
smile.gif

------------------
Does driving a car from Saturn make me an alien?

I'm just a quick pee. - liltaz, fastest pee in the West!

That which does not make me barf, makes me stronger - possum37, fugly.net guru.

You know you want to do it. I would.

------------------

DD how much would you be willing to part with that card for. That is actually the card that i was thinkin about gettin. I wont know if i need it for sure for about a week but If i get enough cash for my birthday then I wanna re-do my system and i would need a sound card. Do you know how long your new card is on backorder?

------------------

DD.. if you think you'll find that platinum drive really usefull.. i say go for it.. however.. if it's just something cool.. that you'd like to have on your system.. i'd say no.. i know a lot of people that got the platnium and found no use for the front drive.. they ended up selling the drive and got the live value...

Prox> No word from buy.com on how long it will be.
I'd be willing to discuss availability and price with you via email or PM, if you're interested.

WaterB> Good advice. However, I honestly think I will find a use for at least 2 or 3 of the input/output ports on the LiveDrive. First and foremost, I like the idea of not having to go under my desk to the back of my case to hook up a set of headphones. Digital Dolby 5.1 support doesn't hurt either.
smile.gif

------------------

the only difference between the old and new soundblaster lives is that the new one does hardware decode for 5.1 while the old one does software..

and you can buy a minijack spliter for $3 at bestbuy.. just keep the headphone plugged in at the back
smile.gif

WaterB> I don't know about the part that the old Lives do software DD5.1.
I've never been able to get true 5.1 sound out of my Live Value, not even in software.

And since I use my headphones with my home entertainment system as well, leaving them plugged in isn't an option, since they're in seperate rooms.
Honestly, the jack in the front is really the best solution for me, especially considering that I my headphones cost a bit more than the Live Platinum 5.1.
smile.gif

------------------

lol.gif

Bro just got the Sound Blaster Live Platinum today in the mail

------------------
"Hold fast to dreams, for if dreams die
Life is a broken-winged bird which cannot fly"
-Langston Hughes
Justin's Swing Palace

Back