What's new

Ebay, Bonanza, Etsy, Craigslist? Which Do you Prefer?

skyme7

Established Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
To those who have sold items online, which website do you prefer using: Ebay, Bonanza, Etsy, Craigslist or other website and why?

I'm thinking of selling some items like clothes and small electronics but not sure what website would be best.

Thanks! :)

I could be wrong but I thought etsy was only for homemade, handcrafted items...I have used ebay in the past and had good luck but it really depends on what you are selling..some things sell better than others...if you do ebay ALWAYS provide tracking w/the item...there are TONS of scammers out there!

Probably Ebay or Amazon. I don't think you'd get much at Craigslist...that seems morelike a big garage sale with garage sae pricing to me. (Craigslist is *my* favorite, though!) Maybe Kathy will chime in, she probably knows best.

I could be wrong but I thought etsy was only for homemade, handcrafted items...I have used ebay in the past and had good luck but it really depends on what you are selling..some things sell better than others...if you do ebay ALWAYS provide tracking w/the item...there are TONS of scammers out there!

Thanks for the tip on the tracking!

Ebay doesn't rip people off, people who don't know how to price their items rip themselves off.

Electronics I sell on Ebay. Clothes I sell at garage sales.

Ebay doesn't rip people off, people who don't know how to price their items rip themselves off.

Sell a kids' shirt for a few bucks...

pay a minimum of $0.50 + 10% (of entire price including shipping) + $0.30 + 3%

oh yeah, totally worth it

I sell kid's clothes at a consignment sale a couple times of year. My next sale is in Libertyville next month. I typically get $1-3 per item depending on how nice it is, and last sale I made $600.

There are also some Facebook garage sale groups. I was just going to post a few furniture and small decorative items on one of those.

Sell a kids' shirt for a few bucks...

pay a minimum of $0.50 + 10% (of entire price including shipping) + $0.30 + 3%

oh yeah, totally worth it

Read her reply again.

I recently started selling some stockpile items on ebay and it's been going pretty well. Now that you can list 50 auctions per month with no insertion fee, there's really nothing to lose. I search completed auctions for the items I'm thinking of listing and see how they're selling. Get an idea of the price they're selling for and go from there. Yes, everyone is taking a cut (ebay, paypal, USPS) but if you figure that from the start and build that into your listing price and your postage fee, you'll be fine.

I won't list anything low hoping for a bidding war. Just not worth it to me. I don't have to run to the post office all the time thanks to printing postage online. If I have an item that's over 13oz I just drop it off at one of those USPS/UPS stores that's right near a CVS. They have much earlier hours than the Post Office.

The items I've been doing the best with are the OTC meds (Culturelle, Estroven, vitamins, etc) and Biore strips.

I've never sold on Amazon, Esty, etc and the Craigslist in my area is pretty much dead.

I use mostly Amazon for NIB because it's easy to list with UPCs, no need to write descriptions. I only list used stuffs and DH's toy collections on Ebay.
Like Joan, I have been doing pretty well with OTCs, I am grateful for the extra income when DH is out of work!

Try Facebook local groups. I am in a few.
Chicago items for sale, Mid Century Modern, and The Thrift Shop.
it depends on what you are selling.

Read her reply again.

I recently started selling some stockpile items on ebay and it's been going pretty well. Now that you can list 50 auctions per month with no insertion fee, there's really nothing to lose. I search completed auctions for the items I'm thinking of listing and see how they're selling. Get an idea of the price they're selling for and go from there. Yes, everyone is taking a cut (ebay, paypal, USPS) but if you figure that from the start and build that into your listing price and your postage fee, you'll be fine.

I won't list anything low hoping for a bidding war. Just not worth it to me. I don't have to run to the post office all the time thanks to printing postage online. If I have an item that's over 13oz I just drop it off at one of those USPS/UPS stores that's right near a CVS. They have much earlier hours than the Post Office.

The items I've been doing the best with are the OTC meds (Culturelle, Estroven, vitamins, etc) and Biore strips.

I've never sold on Amazon, Esty, etc and the Craigslist in my area is pretty much dead.

With what the op wanted to sell, yes, ebay would be a waste of time.

It is not a waste of time, and if you aren't actually a troll, you play a pretty good one on CW. Did you stay at a Holiday Inn last night?

I have been selling profitably on Ebay since the site started. That you can't doesn't mean it's not possible, or likely, or even commonplace.

Geeze!

Back