What's new

Gamecube Price Drop Imminent

That hasn't been confirmed that all stores should have it dropped by October. Nintendo will make the statement soon.

But its whats going to happen. Amazon jumped the gun yesterday and sold out quicklyl. They are now restocked but the price is back at $150. All that to say yes its dropping to 99 and it will boost sales.

Nintendo GameCube Price Drops to $99!; New Hardware Price Spearheads Aggressive Holiday Campaign

Just in time for the biggest video game thrills of the fall, Nintendo GameCube price drops to $99.

REDMOND, Wash.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Sept. 24, 2003--Just in time for the biggest video game thrills of the fall, Nintendo of America Inc. today announced a new MSRP of $99.99 for its Nintendo GameCube(TM) home game console, effective tomorrow, Sept. 25. This great new price opens an $80 price advantage over its two console competitors.
While the price of Nintendo GameCube hardware is falling, the variety and affordability of great software is soaring. Coupled with expansion of the Nintendo GameCube library to more than 320 games by the end of the year, the new MSRP of $99.99 and added exclusive offers will further boost momentum for the console throughout the holidays.

Mario Kart(R): Double Dash!!(TM), available Nov. 17 exclusively for Nintendo GameCube, is the most-anticipated game of the season. Nintendo has announced that customers who reserve a copy of the game in advance will receive a free bonus disc, loaded with game footage and gameplay previews for a wide array of upcoming hits.

In addition, Nintendo recently expanded the Player's Choice library offering discounted prices for a half dozen award winning games including Super Mario Sunshine(TM), Animal Crossing(TM) and Metroid(R) Prime.

"So far in 2003, Nintendo GameCube is the only home console showing an increase in unit sales compared to 2002," says George Harrison, senior vice president, marketing and corporate communications, Nintendo of America. "Every time a generation of technology has moved into the true mass market, Nintendo has prospered. This incredible new price and our great software offers are designed to accelerate that trend like never before."

"This is not only good for Nintendo, but great for consumers," says Lucky Evani, Toys 'R Us representative. "For $99, you can now buy video game technology that you couldn't have purchased for $99,000 just a few years ago."

The hot holiday titles from Nintendo will include Mario Kart: Double Dash!! (Nov. 17), Kirby(TM) Air Ride (Oct. 13), Mario Party(R) 5 (Nov. 11), 1080(TM) Avalanche (Dec. 1), and Pokemon Channel(TM) (Dec.1), as well as the highly anticipated Final Fantasy(R): Crystal Chronicles(TM) and Pokemon Colosseum(TM) in the first quarter of 2004. In addition, the Nintendo GameCube fall lineup is replete with top quality interactive thrills provided by independent publishers that appeal to every game taste, ranging from sports to action to role-playing titles.

The worldwide leader and innovator in the creation of interactive entertainment, Nintendo Co., Ltd., of Kyoto, Japan, manufactures and markets hardware and software for its popular home and portable video game systems. Each year, hundreds of all-new titles for the best-selling Game Boy(R) Advance and Nintendo GameCube(TM) systems extend Nintendo's vast game library and continue the tradition of delivering a rich, diverse mix of quality video games for players of all ages. Since the release of its first home video game system in 1983, Nintendo has sold more than 1.8 billion video games globally, creating enduring industry icons such as Mario(TM) and Donkey Kong(R) and launching popular culture franchise phenomena such as Metroid(TM), Zelda(TM) and Pokemon(R). A wholly owned subsidiary, Nintendo of America Inc., based in Redmond, Wash., serves as headquarters for Nintendo's operations in the Western Hemisphere.

For more information about Nintendo, visit the company's Web sites at either www.nintendo.com or press.nintendo.com. Please note press.nintendo.com is a password-protected site; to receive a password, please contact Tom Stratton at 206-505-8308.

Looks like they didn't want to wait until October.

Yeah, this was totally unexpected today... but, aty least sales are picking up!

WoW. The price is way too low man. I remember when the N64 dropped it's price to $99, the GameCube had just been released.

How low can you go? Can you believe that the GameBoy Advance SP is now the same price as a GameCube? They either have to lower the price of an SP or raise the price of a GameCube again. It's unbalanced. Sure GameCube sales going to pick up but GBA SP sales are going to go down, since more people would rather prefer purchasing a GC than a GBA SP. And initially, most people don't have tons of money to spend and buy only 1 console or handheld. And if you were to choose between a GBA SP or a GC which would you choose?

Nintendo is losing customers to Sony and Microsoft because the majority of Nintendo's games are geared toward younger audiences. Making the Zelda game a cartoon didn't help too much either bringing older teen in either (even though Wind Waker was cool, most people passed it off as a child game at first glance).

Nintendo needs to start catering to both parties. And if they don't plan on joining Sega in the gaming black hole anytime soon, they really need to focus on the older markets more. Teens buy these games by the truckload. More than children.

Selling the GC for $99 should increase sales. Nintendo needs this. I hope their next console focuses on us older gamers more.

Link

Their new console should be much better than this. I'm almost positive that Nintendo usd the GameCube as their test console for the next generation, when things really start to kick in. I see the next generation as being a war of who can come up with the best addons for their consoles, not whose has the better games or the lowest pricepoint.

Originally posted by Ahmed
WoW. The price is way too low man. I remember when the N64 dropped it's price to $99, the GameCube had just been released.

How low can you go? Can you believe that the GameBoy Advance SP is now the same price as a GameCube? They either have to lower the price of an SP or raise the price of a GameCube again. It's unbalanced. Sure GameCube sales going to pick up but GBA SP sales are going to go down, since more people would rather prefer purchasing a GC than a GBA SP. And initially, most people don't have tons of money to spend and buy only 1 console or handheld. And if you were to choose between a GBA SP or a GC which would you choose?

It is pretty creepy that GameCube will sell for the same price as GBA SP. Completely understood. As we already knew the minute GameCube was released.. they did something wrong with this system.. Why didn't they try to even excel past the power of the PS2 or XBOX? It came out later than both.

Originally posted by Link
Nintendo is losing customers to Sony and Microsoft because the majority of Nintendo's games are geared toward younger audiences. Making the Zelda game a cartoon didn't help too much either bringing older teen in either (even though Wind Waker was cool, most people passed it off as a child game at first glance).

Nintendo needs to start catering to both parties. And if they don't plan on joining Sega in the gaming black hole anytime soon, they really need to focus on the older markets more. Teens buy these games by the truckload. More than children.

Selling the GC for $99 should increase sales. Nintendo needs this. I hope their next console focuses on us older gamers more.

Link

Another statement I agree with. See the thread in the Console War Courtroom "PS2 Bashing, GameCube Praising." for my full statement on this.

Originally posted by Xilicon
Their new console should be much better than this. I'm almost positive that Nintendo usd the GameCube as their test console for the next generation, when things really start to kick in. I see the next generation as being a war of who can come up with the best addons for their consoles, not whose has the better games or the lowest pricepoint.

I just hope ya right.

Back