What's new

Geico Car Insurance

Peacock76

Peak Forum Legend
PF Member
Reaction score
Does anyone use Geico for car insurance?

We are paying *WAY* too much for car insurance through American Family. I've done several online quotes over the past few days & Geico is the clear winner as far as cost goes. They are so much lower than the other companies & our current company that I called them yesterday to ask them if this is an introductory rate or what. The woman I spoke with said that barring accidents or moving violations, the rate I was quoted is the rate even after the first 6 months are up. She also said that for some reason they are getting incredibly good rates in IL right now and it doesn't seem like anyone can beat them.

Do you have Geico? If so, what has your experience been with them?

now i would call American family and tell them all that--maybe they will swing you a better deal

We have tried SO many times with American Family. I don't know why we stay. AF is almost 4x higher than Geico!

I have Geico. Big17 crashed the G on Christmas Day. It was fixed in a week for the $500 deductible.

No issues of any kind, no rate increase yet, until renewal (in June, Big will be 18). They will contact me with information about our options for his insurance sometime in May. They can leave him on our policy (at which time the cost will go up) or they can put him on his own. It will be expensive for him but they are willing to keep him on and not totally soak him.

We are reviewing our options. But I have never had any issues of any kind with them, love them, love the premiums. And the one claim we had (was over $5k in repairs) was handled promptly, professionally, and with care. They called him personally, and separately, a couple days later to make sure he had no medical issues (he did not need a doctor from the accident) and that he didn't need any emotional/anxiety-type intervention. Making sure he was OK.

Have never regretted going to them, even more so now that we've had a claim and it went well. No reason to pay more, so long as the service is good.

One thing to watch for Dragonfly - the roadside assistance and rental insurance is $$$$$$$$$$, but when you quote online it's not clear that those things are included, so MAKE SURE you take them off before you buy. They also readd those things to your quote whenever you make a change, so make sure you take them off.

Roadside assistance coverage is available free to anyone at http://www.allstate.com/auto-roadside-services/good-hands-roadside.aspx (do not have to be a customer), you only pay if you need to use it.

Daily car rental insurance is a bad investment over time, better to have emergency funds available for such an expense, if needed.

Anyway, I REALLY like them. No issues. We have been with them for 4-5 years.

Thanks, Kathy! Sorry you had a claim, but that's what I'm looking for- someone who has dealt with them during & after a claim.

Sounds good. I think we will make the switch! DD18 is on our policy & she needs to be on her own. I did a Geico quote for her & her alone is less than her on our policy, too, so that's good. We had a claim from her almost 3 years ago, so her insurance is a little high.

PS - Also, we have for many years carried ONLY the state minimums for car insurance. If I get in a terrible accident and someone wants to sue me, they can settle for $50k. We have no assets so I am not worried about a lawsuit deficiency or anything.

Also our deductible was always $1000 (still is on my DH work truck and my Honda) but we put the deductible to $500 on the G6 when Big started driving it just in case something like this happened. So he could afford to pay it if he had a wreck.

On the piece o junk that Kid16 drives, we only have liability insurance. No collision or comp.

And oh, if you switch to them, be a doll and tell them where to send my big fat check for being an evangelizer!

;)

I'm sure you'll get your Geico check when I get my Aldi endorsement check. So far my mom & two friends have switched to Aldi this week. :lol:

I have geico as well. We had them for a bit and then switched to Statefarm and now we are back with geico. We filed a claim with them on 2 occassions and both times the claims were paid right away, within 5-7 days. These were claims where my DH was at fault. We have full coverage on 2 cars (older cars), 2 drivers (both over 35) and $500 deductible and pay $57/month.

Now you guys have me thinking about switching myself. We've had AmFam for years on everything..............cars and two homes and it's spendy.

I did get it lowered (a little) one time when I called my agent and told her that I don't work outside the home and I only drive my kids to school and to the store. So for SAH parents, don't forget to mention that. ;)

my DH has geico for motorcycle insurance, they were less than half of what of other places charged

PS - Also, we have for many years carried ONLY the state minimums for car insurance. If I get in a terrible accident and someone wants to sue me, they can settle for $50k. We have no assets so I am not worried about a lawsuit deficiency or anything.

What assets can they go after? House? Retirement? Savings?

Just put everything you have into an estate and they can't touch that.

If you have assets and someone sues you and wins, they can (theoretically) file liens and/or force the sale of your assets to satisfy their judgment.

That said, what I meant was that if someone sued me for $100k in civil court, and I only had $50k in insurance, IF a deficiency judgment was filed against me, I would simply file BK.

Retirement savings are almost always untouchable IF they are in actual retirement investments. 401k, IRA, etc. Not your basic etrade mutual funds.

All this differs by state.

If you have assets and someone sues you and wins, they can (theoretically) file liens and/or force the sale of your assets to satisfy their judgment.

That said, what I meant was that if someone sued me for $100k in civil court, and I only had $50k in insurance, IF a deficiency judgment was filed against me, I would simply file BK.

Retirement savings are almost always untouchable IF they are in actual retirement investments. 401k, IRA, etc. Not your basic etrade mutual funds.

All this differs by state.

Sucks for the person that gets injured though, but I guess that is what under insured motorist insurance is for...

We've had our auto insurance through GEICO for several years, as has our daughter and my mom. Daughter is the only one who's filed any claims and has no complaints about how they were handled, nor have her rates increased.

Sucks for the person that gets injured though, but I guess that is what under insured motorist insurance is for...

The typical medical claim from a car accident is around 20/80 in payout. The 20 is actual costs of service, the 80 is pain & suffering, lost work, etc.

And the vast majority care costs of injuries incurred in car accidents are paid through regular old health insurance.

Back