What's new

Good Car Recommendations?

Panache

Chief Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
So, I have decided to re-take up driving, and would like some input on which car brands are good! (Took driving lessons when I was 16, but had a nervous instructor who nearly made me get into an accident, and I haven't driven since) I am now 24 and starting to feel a bit stuck, so I am now excited to learn!
Once I get my license when I am done practicing, I'll of course have to get a vehicle. I would be looking at a relatively small car, since I feel like I have more control over them while driving, with just simple features, no bells and whistles. What would some of the better car makes be? Both good and bad experiences are welcome! :)

I suggest that the first 3-5 cars at least should be cheap, used cars, since you're going to wreck some during the first years of driving. Also make sure that you have proper car insurance (liability and ______ - forgot the term). Also, make sure you have health insurance.

Yes, the car I get will definitely be used and at a cheap price, since cars are costly these days. Brand new cars aren't really all they're cracked up to be, I think. A one-owner car that the person posts in the newspaper or the like is always a good idea. And car and health insurances are a must, since you get penalized very badly (possible loss of license for no car insurance, and fined for no health insurance, which is taken out of your taxes) for not having them in the state that I live.

How about a Chevy Cobalt or a Ford Focus. Both smaller inexpensive cars. Both get good mileage and should be less expensive to insure. Other choices may include a Nissan Sentra or Toyota Corolla. Yes, your idea of looking in newspaper ads is a good one. Avoid dealers if you can and buy from private parties to save money. Good luck!

I've made good experiences with Ford and Peugeot.

Are Chevy's low maintenance cars? I might have to get a new or used car soon ... my Chrysler has some rust troubles ... I'm probably too tall for a Japanese car ...

I'm not a driver so I can't really say.

My parents have driven both Renault and Ford in the past and had trouble with neither. If you're after style though, it's the Citroens that you want.

I've been driving a 2001 olds alero for 10 years now, it's about time to get something new but I don't really want to make payments or pay full coverage insurance right now. :(

^^ same here, I've been driving a '98 Chrysler/Dodge Stratus for 8 years now, and it's about time to get something new, but I can't (or don't want to) afford it.

Cars over 10 years old/100,000 miles are money pits. I got my 2000 Buick Century last year and it at ~112,000 miles now and I'm slowly replacing just about every minor part. Even minor parts aren't cheap. :eek: So far it's been front wheel bearings, sway bar, alternator, sway bar linkage, master window switch, brakes all around (this is a maintenance issue from the previous owner), etc. At this point it's worth putting much into it but I cannot afford a newer car so I'm stuck in the fix an old car instead of saving for a new one cycle.

Asian cars (Toyota, Honda, Hyundai, etc) have a good reputation for being reliable. I'd shy away from anything that's more than 7-8 years old if you can afford it.

The problem with small cars is that that they're more dangerous if you get into an accident. That's why I used to feel more threatened when I had a small car when someone was tailgating me. Now that I have a bigger vehicle, I don't get as nervous when someone is on my tail.

So if you can afford it Panache, you might want to consider purchasing a larger car - just a suggestion.

The problem with small cars is that that they're more dangerous if you get into an accident. That's why I used to feel more threatened when I had a small car when someone was tailgating me. Now that I have a bigger vehicle, I don't get as nervous when someone is on my tail.

So if you can afford it Panache, you might want to consider purchasing a larger car - just a suggestion.
That's what my mom told me as well. I've always had small cars. Never had a truck. You're more safer in a truck/SUV right?

@Dan Hutter
Asian cars (Toyota, Honda, Hyundai, etc) have a good reputation for being reliable. I'd shy away from anything that's more than 7-8 years old if you can afford it.
I agree. I've had some great experiences with Toyota and Hyundai. Good gas mileage, as well.
:cool:

Back