What's new

Gout?

littlebuffalo

Part Of The Furniture
PF Member
Reaction score
Anyone has gout? What kind of food to avoid? Any suggestion?

A friend of mine has gout...it's horribly painful, so if you have it I'm sorry for you!

It seems like the top things to avoid are beef/meat & beer.

My dad has it.

Meats, legumes(beans, peas), beer and other alcoholic beverages, anchovies, sardines in oil, fish roes, herring, yeast, organ meat (liver, kidneys, sweetbreads).

Actually, any food that contains high protein - purine rich food can cause gout to flare up.

Looks like everything and anything! Consider though that purines are found in all protein foods and it is not recommended that all purines should be eliminated from a person's diet.

DH suffered from this in the past...I think they told him to avoid salt. It went away though, but maybe he will NEVER be completely rid of it! They gave him meds to take. Can't remember what the name was though!

My dad had gout (VERY painful!). I did some research to find out if there was any way to prevent flare-ups. I heard cherries might help, and decided it was worth a try. I bought a cherry juice concentrate at Whole Foods and had him drink a minimum of 1 glass a day. That did seem to work for him. You can google it, but here's some basic info:

One such food is cherries and how they can help to alleviate and relieve gout symptoms. Cherries have been known to reduce inflammation as well as reduce the actual level of uric acid in the body.
This can be a great way to help avoid gout flare ups and the symptoms associated with gout. By drinking cherry juice and working more cherry foods into your diet you can combat the levels of uric acid you have within you. This doesn't mean you can then go carte Blanc with your gout foods, but it does offer an aid to combat the symptoms that could be caused by some of the more common gout foods you eat and could help bringing down the level of uric acid you are producing.

Uloric, not sure spelled correctly, is one medication

this may help, littlebuffalo :

http://arthritis.about.com/od/gout/a/foodstoeat.htm

Foods to eat and avoid:
Recommended Foods To Eat

* Fresh cherries, strawberries, blueberries, and other red-blue berries
* Bananas
* Celery
* Tomatoes
* Vegetables including kale, cabbage, parsley, green-leafy vegetables
* Foods high in bromelain (pineapple)
* Foods high in vitamin C (red cabbage, red bell peppers, tangerines, mandarins, oranges, potatoes)
* Drink fruit juices and purified water (8 glasses of water per day)
* Low-fat dairy products
* Complex carbohydrates (breads, cereals, pasta, rice, as well as aforementioned vegetables and fruits)
* Chocolate, cocoa
* Coffee, tea
* Carbonated beverages
* Essential fatty acids (tuna and salmon, flaxseed, nuts, seeds)
* Tofu, although a legume and made from soybeans, may be a better choice than meat

Foods considered moderately high in purines but which may not raise the risk of gout include: asparagus, cauliflower, mushrooms, peas, spinach, whole grain breads and cereals, chicken, duck, ham, turkey, kidney and lima beans. It is important to remember that purines are found in all protein foods. All sources of purines should not be eliminated.

this may help, littlebuffalo :

http://arthritis.about.com/od/gout/a/foodstoeat.htm

Foods to eat and avoid:
Recommended Foods To Eat

* Fresh cherries, strawberries, blueberries, and other red-blue berries
* Bananas
* Celery
* Tomatoes
* Vegetables including kale, cabbage, parsley, green-leafy vegetables
* Foods high in bromelain (pineapple)
* Foods high in vitamin C (red cabbage, red bell peppers, tangerines, mandarins, oranges, potatoes)
* Drink fruit juices and purified water (8 glasses of water per day)
* Low-fat dairy products
* Complex carbohydrates (breads, cereals, pasta, rice, as well as aforementioned vegetables and fruits)
* Chocolate, cocoa
* Coffee, tea
* Carbonated beverages
* Essential fatty acids (tuna and salmon, flaxseed, nuts, seeds)
* Tofu, although a legume and made from soybeans, may be a better choice than meat

Foods considered moderately high in purines but which may not raise the risk of gout include: asparagus, cauliflower, mushrooms, peas, spinach, whole grain breads and cereals, chicken, duck, ham, turkey, kidney and lima beans. It is important to remember that purines are found in all protein foods. All sources of purines should not be eliminated.

JC I could NEVER live on that diet!

do not eat anything you crave or is tasty. YEAH THAT IS THE DIET, sorry. REALLY. good luck

Back