What's new

Greg Oden wants to play again

Mr.Rogers

Chief Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
attachment.php

Greg Oden shares the fans' disappointment in the way his career has gone.

The 7-foot center was limited to just 82 games by injuries after the Portland Trail Blazers took him over Kevin Durant with the first selection in the 2007 draft. Portland waived the former No. 1 overall pick Thursday after an injury-plagued five-year run in which he averaged just 9.4 points, 7.3 rebounds and 1.4 blocked shots. He recently underwent his third microfracture knee surgery, the second on his left knee, ending his season.

"He feels bad for Portland and the team, more than anything, more than he did for himself," Oden's agent, Mike Conley Sr., said Friday. "He felt he could have made an impact, and he knows they were counting on him."

Oden's knee problems have drawn comparisons to Sam Bowie, the injury-plagued post the Blazers took ahead of Michael Jordan in 1984. Bowie played in 76 games as a rookie but appeared in just 63 games over the next four seasons because of injuries. In all, he had five operations. That history has made Oden's situation a particularly sore topic for the Trail Blazers, who also have had to deal with Brandon Roy's premature retirement due to injury.

"It is kind of closing the chapter on Greg Oden," Blazers interim general manager Chad Buchanan said. "Between Brandon Roy, Greg Oden and LaMarcus Aldridge, we had kind of built the team around those three. We've lost Brandon to retirement, and we've lost Greg to injury -- and we have nothing to show for it. We don't have an asset, we don't have a draft pick, we don't have a player. And that's hard to come back from."

Read more: http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7696992/oft-injured-greg-oden-committed-playing-again

Attachments

• medium_blazers-greg-oden.jpg
    medium_blazers-greg-oden.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 262
It's a shame how his career went down. But Portland seems to have a history of making these kind of bad choices.

I hope Oden can return to the NBA, and stay injury free. This guy has had it rough, injury after injury. Portland losing both Roy and Oden makes you wonder what could have been if they were never injured.

I hope Oden can return to the NBA, and stay injury free. This guy has had it rough, injury after injury. Portland losing both Roy and Oden makes you wonder what could have been if they were never injured.

That's why I feel bad for Nate McMillan being fired yesterday. He's had to deal without having his best players for most of his Blazer coaching career.

I am sad that Oden was already waived by the Blazers. Hope that he can play again on another team without risking another knee injury.

I feel bad for this guy. In college he was such an amazing player at Ohio State. I really hope he gets a chance at playing in the NBA because he has gone through so many injuries.

The dude has had a tough run in the NBA. I would like to see him active and successful, but with his track record of injuries, there won't be many teams willing to offer up a decent sized contract. If he does come back he may get a 2-3 year deal for a low price, but he has to start somewhere.

The dude has had a tough run in the NBA. I would like to see him active and successful, but with his track record of injuries, there won't be many teams willing to offer up a decent sized contract. If he does come back he may get a 2-3 year deal for a low price, but he has to start somewhere.

Yeah I can understand that though. How many people are going to pay him highly with the kind of risks he presents

If oden is ever healthy I'll be surprised his body just can't handle the game anymore.. if he is though some team will be getting a very nice pickup in free agency..

Ill be surprised if somebody picks him up. Its too much of a risk to have him being injury prone like he is. Its so sad because he was such an incredible college player.

Ill be surprised if somebody picks him up. Its too much of a risk to have him being injury prone like he is. Its so sad because he was such an incredible college player.

That happens to a lot of players. They're great in college but when they get to the pros it's a different story. At least in HIS case though, it wasn't about skill level, it was about injury.

Somebody will take a gamble on him for sure. He's still young and it's possible he turns it around. It'll be interesting to see how much money he can get despite having barely played his entire NBA career. If it was the league minimum, there isn't a team in the NBA that wouldn't sign him.

I agree, definitely worth the risk. I think that the Trail Blazers are cursed when it comes to draft picks . Shame with Oden as I think he could have been the real deal if injury free.

He is just too big and the strain of basketball is too much for his body. I think he has also missed too much time now in what should have been his formative years to ever become the hall of fame player he could have been, but he will be back and be a decent if injury prone big man, possibly an all-star if he can string together two relatively injury free seasons and Howard doesn't come to the West. I imagine his career from here out will look an awful lot like Sam Bowie, who also could never quite get injury free.

He is just too big and the strain of basketball is too much for his body. I think he has also missed too much time now in what should have been his formative years to ever become the hall of fame player he could have been, but he will be back and be a decent if injury prone big man, possibly an all-star if he can string together two relatively injury free seasons and Howard doesn't come to the West. I imagine his career from here out will look an awful lot like Sam Bowie, who also could never quite get injury free.

When you look at people like Yao Ming, Shaq, and Dwight Howard, the "too big" notion goes out the window. But he did miss a great deal of time. And I feel bad for Oden because yes, he WILL get the Sam Bowie mantle.

When you look at people like Yao Ming, Shaq, and Dwight Howard, the "too big" notion goes out the window. But he did miss a great deal of time. And I feel bad for Oden because yes, he WILL get the Sam Bowie mantle.

The "too big" notion goes out the window? Yao retired early because his injuries became too much, Shaq had tons of injuries due to his size and weight, and Dwight Howard is still quite young, but may be the only one of three that isn't negatively impacted by his size.

I believe that Greg Oden can still play, but I wouldn't be surprised if he picked up a few injuries and then just called it quits again. He is a big guy and huge risk for injuries.

I dont want to be negative, but when you have problem with your knees like Oden has, its gonna be really hard for him to return and actually play effective. Look at Brandon Roy, he had to retire because of knee problems as well. I hope he does, but a long shot..

Drafted in '07, this guy has only seen the floor 82 times. Seemed like he had enough of a personality to get a tv gig. I think he's done as a player.He may have the will to give it 3 more shots, but his body has already quit on him. No use making it worse for the rest of your life.

I really like Greg Oden. He looks like the kind of guy you want to hug and tell him it's alright. He's just too injury-prone. Knee injuries at that? Sorry, but if another team picks him up, he may not make that much of an impact.

Back