What's new

Grow your own vegetables

Friday

Active Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
Has anyone decided at some point to start growing their own vegetables in their garden or perhaps in a community garden? I have always wanted to try and do this but I just don't have the space or the drive to invest in setting it up.

It can be quite hard to setup and you don't always get a good amount of yield to actually cook with. I think it's great if you can do it and are devoted to growing enough produce but it's not easy by any means.

I'd be interested to know how profitable it would be to do it as well. Has anyone every grown their own veg before? What made you start and what sort of things do you grow in your garden?

I used to love growing vegetables in my garden. my favourite crops were carrots, peas and strawberries. My least favourite thing to grow was potatoes as they're self seeding and pop up all over the place for years after you sew your last crop. The best thing for vegetable growing is the have a dedicated area for it and to focus on crops which you are passionate about as your more likely to care for the crop.

I think that making a business viable from crop producing would be difficult. Small holdings, garden crops and allotments are better off being used to grow food for yourselves, that way saving money on food shopping and being more environmentally friendly. I think it is difficult to grow vegetables if you're not an experienced Gardner.

We have a small farm, my parents live on the farm. Even though I have lived away from my farm most of the time, I experienced farm life for 5 years. When I lived on the farm, I grew vegetables. I grew cauliflower, cabbages, broccoli, tomatoes, onions, potatoes, spinach, lettuce, etc. I once even made money by selling vegetables.

I myself have never grown my own vegetables or even fruit as I do not have the time or the space to be able to do so but my mum has a greenhouse and a garden herself and every year she grows things like cucumbers, tomatoes, apples, strawberries, and figs and this has helped her keep down the amount she spends on shopping especially when the prices have gone up as they have. She bought an apple tree specifically so she could have apples grow every year and she gets so many apples from the tree she gives some to me, some to my grandma, some to my auntie, and some to her neighbor as well and she keeps some. She also does this with anything else she grows if she has too much and knows she will not be able to use it all and that helps out not only her but others as well.

I used to love growing vegetables in my garden. my favourite crops were carrots, peas and strawberries. My least favourite thing to grow was potatoes as they're self seeding and pop up all over the place for years after you sew your last crop. The best thing for vegetable growing is the have a dedicated area for it and to focus on crops which you are passionate about as your more likely to care for the crop.

I have this challenge of not growing vegetables at my farm since I have used the space to plant other crops such as maize. Planting vegetables takes a lot of money too.

I have a really huge garden but don't use it every year. This year I'll be starting it in a month or so and I like to use landscape fabric to keep out the weeds. I hate weeding! We also put up a temporary fencing around it so the wild animals don't eat everything. If I stick with the things I know will grow, it's more profitable. Mostly we grow zucchini, yellow squash and basil.

I do not have the luxury of a garden in my flat, so I grow my produce in pots instead. Despite the challenges, I have successfully grown some herbs and vegetables. My motivation for doing this comes from wanting to save money while pursuing a new and exciting hobby. As I dream of buying a home in the future, I imagine a large garden as an essential component. I do not earn from my produce, but I believe it can be a lucrative business idea.

Back