What's new

Have Other Manufacturers Started Their Intent To Sue Yet?

Mobile Music 1

Establishing Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
Have Chartbusters and Pop Hits Monthly started any legal action yet?

Every so often, someone will say that it'll happen soon but hadn't heard anything lately one way or another.

I don't think they will, they are not in the same boat with SoundChoice.

Chartbuster has a good vertical in consumers rather than KJs. They have a lot of product out there that is very moderately priced. It's so affordable that pirating it really makes no sense at all. KJs who do are probably to lowly to be worth pursuing.

Pop Hits Monthly - a narrower niche, but it's still light years ahead of SC in marketing and distribution. On balance I doubt a legal campaign would be worth it.

Haven't seen or heard anything yet beyond someone claiming to be an investigator for Stellar working a couple of areas! My area has had a flurry of ASCAP/BMI hit's lately though! (which makes me wonder what is really going on)

My thinking is that Stellar has learned a lot from Sound Choice's actions and is not going to piece meal their prosecutions of the lawsuits a state or city at a time allowing other pirates not hit to "get out of the business" or "shrink thier libraries" to avoid getting busted. Instead if they are smart, they will get all their ducks in a row and then hit with a massive filing in each state, hitting all computer operated karaoke systems at the same time with a suit and then allow each operator a chance at an audit.

Stellar has stated that they offer a "Compliance Assistance Program". I believe where there's smoke, there's fire. I see this as strengthening their position if/when the proceed with legal action. I also see a high degree of difficulty in merely identifying and then pursuing these defendants in large numbers.

With regards to Stellar/Pop Hits Monthly's legal position:

http://www.stellarrecords.com/cap_info.html

Stellar has stated that they offer a "Compliance Assistance Program". I believe where there's smoke, there's fire. I see this as strengthening their position if/when the proceed with legal action. I also see a high degree of difficulty in merely identifying and then pursuing these defendants in large numbers.

With regards to Stellar/Pop Hits Monthly's legal position:

http://www.stellarrecords.com/cap_info.html

This is true they (just like Sound Choice) they are allowing everyone who wishes to the chance to legitimize their library content before an action is taken.

Not "smoke and fire"... more like "smoke and mirrors."

Still haven't got an answer as to whether Chartbuster is suing 1:1's or not. But hopefully Chartbusterrette sees this post and gives an answer.

Back