What's new

Have you ever walked away from your CC debt?

kewpon addict

Part Of The Furniture
PF Member
Reaction score
I ask because I am in seriously over my head...have tried calling these companies and NO ONE cares...I am seriously afraid of being taken to court if I quit paying my CC's but honestly I would have so much more money to work with If I DIDN"T have the debt. So I am asking seriously has anyone been here and done that? If so can you please tell me what will happen? Will it just trash my credit score or will they take me to court..any advice is appreciated! TIA.

Um.......why do you think you don't have to pay your bills?

Um.......why do you think you don't have to pay your bills?

Not saying I don't have to pay them Mrs. Mom but don't know what else to do...too many pipers to pay and not enough money to pay them all. Not a decision I am taking lightly either way...have been losing lots of sleep...just asking honestly.

Not saying I don't have to pay them Mrs. Mom but don't know what else to do...too many pipers to pay and not enough money to pay them all. Not a decision I am taking lightly either way...have been losing lots of sleep...just asking honestly.

Can you not afford to pay the minimums?

can you refinance your house and roll the debt into the house payment? I have had friends that have done that-with lots of success
I had another friend and she called the credit counseling service--they had her close all her credit cards and then had her make payments to them--they negotiated down the price--it did hurt her credit rating--because it does get reported
Another friend called the credit cards--and then had the payments cut in half--she had to stop using the credit cards--but since she had less payments-it worked.
Now--this was all before this country had all these problems--so not sure how it will work now--but it never hurts to make a phone call
Sometimes larger church's can help--if you agree to credit card counseling-_I heard Willow Creek has a program--but again that was years ago

Good luck

Does Mistah need a job?

:lol:.....Never hurts to 'plug' DH!!:lol:... But seriously....relief is just a phone call away. If you have an attorney, creditors have to stop calling you. They must call your attorney.

:lol:..... But seriously....relief is just a phone call away. If you have an attorney, creditors have to stop calling you. They must call your attorney.

What's she gonna pay an attorney with? :9:

I'm truly not trying to judge. But, I honestly don't understand how people have reached a point where they're carrying lots of credit card debt. Sometimes I feel like my parents were way ahead of their time when they raised me and my sister. We were told never to carry a credit card balance - ever. No matter what. They'd say "Always spend less than you make." Even having a car payment was unacceptable. "If you want a car, save the money, then buy one that you can afford." So we worked our tails off - I got my first job at 14.

And please don't think I am well off and trying to be preachy. It isn't the case. We did not have much money growing up, and I have faced enormous hardships in my life before reaching my current happy middle-class existence.

I left an abusive marriage when I was 21 and still in college. The judge ordered that I pay alimony TO my ex, plus I had to buy him out of his share of our house. At the time I made about $11K a year at my one part-time job. Our mortgage alone, plus my payments to him, was over $18K/year.

So I worked three different minimum-wage jobs (simultaneously) plus was a full-time student. In college Mon/Wed/Fri, worked in a hardware store Tues/Thurs/Sun during the day, worked at a record store at night 5 days a week, and I cleaned offices during the day on Saturdays. Those were some of the most difficult years of my life because I spent nearly every waking minute working. There was no going out with friends, no restaurants, no movies, no cable, and usually mac & cheese for dinner (I was NOT a good couponer back then, unfortunately.) But I was able to keep my house and pay off my ex. Everything was budgeted down to the penny and I still never bought something that I couldn't pay for at the end of the month.

I too am puzzled why you would not want to pay for the things you've purchased. I would be wracked with enormous amounts of guilt (plus, even as an adult, I'd be faced with the wrath of mom and dad :)

The only way this works, IMHO, is if there is a medical emergency that causes the debt. If you chose to buy the items, your also choosing to pay for these items. Medical emergencies happen, wants... those are controllable.

Not passing judgment, just sharing my opinion.

What's she gonna pay an attorney with? :9:

Depending on how much minimum $ is, on how many cards, if you have an attorney, it could be cheaper to pay the attorney and let him/her and the CC companies figure it out.

I think the entire system should be revamped and more responsible money handling education should be given in high school.

Some ruin their credit score by 20 :-(

I agree with this. One thing that I didn't know as a college student was that even opening multiple card accounts can hurt you. On campus, they always give out nice incentives to sign up for this or that. I remember one time it was a backpack full of food - snack bars, a big bag of Twizzlers, some Little Debbie brownies. Stuff I was DYING to eat because I was so broke and wasn't buying "fun stuff." I figured if I signed up and didn't use the card, I could just enjoy the free stuff.

Well, to get the bag, I had to fill out FIVE different credit card applications. Which I did. A few months later when I tried looking at refinancing my house to a lower mortgage rate to see if I could free up even a little more money each month... guess who didn't qualify for a refinance because of these 5 cards I opened and hadn't used? Apparently opening cards and NOT using them affects your credit rating too. Another lesson learned.

I don't mean to make her feel bad. It was an honest question. I hope she finds the answers she's looking for. I do remember being in debt that seemed impossible which I laugh at now cause it was "only" about $2k. It was when we were first married and didn't handle money well.......it was all just shopping.

The only way this works, IMHO, is if there is a medical emergency that causes the debt. If you chose to buy the items, your also choosing to pay for these items. Medical emergencies happen, wants... those are controllable.

Not passing judgment, just sharing my opinion.

I have NOT bought things. I am NOT one of those people(no offense to those who have done so)...my emergencies have all been stupid house stuff like my water heater died and I had to get a new one...when I moved into my house the previous owner had let the septic back up and so 3 days after we moved in disaster! I have had several surgeries...one of which was to remove very large cysts on my ovaries...I could go on and on and write a book about all of my hardships but the bottom line is I have NEVER had a savings...my own dumb fault for not being smart enough to have an emergency fund and yes, one emergency after another after another. I live pretty frugally...I don't smoke or drink, nor does my DH(again, no offense to those who do), I have worked my whole life w/the exception of ONE year when I was unemployed and last yr. my DH lost his job...right before he lost his job I started couponing by following superjill's site. I am EXTREMELY glad I did..I belong to freecycle and try to get things I need for free but it is now quite poplular and there is no requirement for anyone, it is first come first serve. So again I'm doing my best just trying to figure it all out and feel like I will NEVER get an emergency fund when I can barely make minimum CC payments. I NEED internet for my job so I can't cut that....just trying to give some background here but I will quit now. Thanks to all who responded with kind advice!

kewpon addict you've been through a lot.......I'm sorry. :huggy:

No no, don't quit talking. I think we are all trying to help and understand in our own ways.

A week or two ago there was a news story that said something like 64% of Americans polled could not deal with a $1,000 emergency expense right now and would have to borrow that money from someone or put it on a card. You're by no means alone in your situation.

I would highly recommend you going hard turkey and looking at the dave ramsey stuff Lee posted. Not saying you aren't there now, but I do want to ask something you can just think about.

If you don't decide to start right now cutting to bare bones and knowing what it takes to pay off debt you get you can't afford, are you sure you won't be in this same place in a few years after bankruptcy or whatever happens? I think that with most people it repeats itself over and over again, but you might be different, so that is for you to decide. Will you immediately savings will you be at bare bones or use that money for other things you realy could go without (and I know that some things that some think you can go without might be something you need, so not judging on that at all)

Do you own any property? cars? house? timeshare? anything like that...if so they will come after you and take those things.

Even if you start a savings or emergency fund, they will come after that if you place it in a bank of any kind.

Back