What's new

Hawthorne Police Dog Killing (Graphic Video Inside)

Han

;)
PF Member
Reaction score
Peak Coin
If you're a huge fan of dogs or are pretty squirmish, please do not watch the video. I'll tell you what happens anyway, so that you don't have to watch it to know what's going on. Oh, the police are also a target of Anonymous now.

Basically, the police were dealing with a hostage situation, with Leon Rosby (the owner of the Rottweiler, Max) videoing and being a bit mouthy towards the police dealing with the situation, asking questions, such as one along the lines of why there aren't any black cops. The police start moving towards him to arrest him, he puts his dog in the car but the windows were wound down. While they are arresting the owner, the dog became a bit upset, jumped out of the car and started barking at the police officers.

One of the officers try to grab the dogs lead twice, the second time the dog leaps up to around his arm-height. The officer then shoots the dog, not once but four times. The dog was shot in the head, and as animals do, writhed around a bit on the floor before dying. The owner is now pressing charges, there have been protests outside the police station, and so on.

[video=youtube;WDBZr4ie2AE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDBZr4ie2AE[/video]

Personally, I'm pretty disappointed with the police officers for forgetting the serious hostage situation and going towards a man on a public street who is videoing them and questioning them. Surely they should have ignored him, dealt with him later, whatever. Just not leave a serious situation for a guy trying to get something back - he was voluntarily arrested, they could have even let him see to his dog to calm it down, rather than trying to do so themselves, being seen by the dog as people harming his owner who he is trying to protect.

Secondly, the dog was shot FOUR times, not once, FOUR TIMES, for jumping to arm height. Okay, it may be an instant reaction and what not, but four times is disgusting in my opinion. Even if the dog leapt towards his neck, I wouldn't expect four gunshots. I'm not sure what equipment the officers had at hand, but with the moments before the dog leapt they could have thought of a change of weapon to something less likely to cause critical damage. Or as I said before, they could have let the owner calm his dog down - he was voluntarily arrested.

Or if they just didn't ignore the main situation they were there for, and arrested a man for FILMING on a public street, the dog would still be alive.

I love dogs, I get more upset when animals die than I would if a person were to die - and the fact they killed this dog over something that could have been avoided, something so stupid and petty when something bigger was occurring just makes me push more blame onto the officers. The owner is at blame, I understand, too. He tried to get a reaction, he did - but for every action, there is a reaction - it can turn into something devastating - which it did.

SO:
Who's do you believe is to blame for the incident?
Was the police officer right to shoot the dog?
What's your opinion on the incident?

Who do you believe is to blame for the incident?
Both the police and the owner of the dog.
The police, as you said, should have dealt with the current situation and honestly I think they should have left the guy alone. He was actually arrested for filming them and asking questions including, "Why are there no black police officers?". The guy was being a **** and interfering with something important. However, they still should have left him be and told him to back off, if he didn't they could have sorted him out later but arresting him was too harsh anyway in my opinion.
Anyway, they stupidly began arresting him and obviously the dog wanted to protect his owner and didn't like what was going on, not the dog's fault; my dog would have done the same. The guy then takes the dog back to his car and leaves the window open, that's the one part I'll blame him for. We all know we shouldn't leave dogs in cars with windows up so they can die, but leaving the window wide open when he knows full well the dog could jump out? Nu uh. He didn't even tie the lead anywhere, I have a feeling he WANTED the dog to cause trouble and in turn he'd be let be.
Both people did things wrong, really.

Was the police officer right to shoot the dog?
No. They weren't right to do it, but everyone makes big mistakes.
I really think they should have thought more like;

If I have to harm the dog or get him to stop attacking me...do I have pepper spray or a taser or something else?
Can I ask the guy to secure the dog to the car?
Can I let go of the guy and explain that he needs to not behave that way again?

On the other hand, the police officer may have felt the dogs' teeth on his arm or something like that, he could have been incredibly intimidated or threatened and if you're holding a gun and a fairly big animal with sharp teeth is snarling and jumping up at you and you have reason to believe you could lose an arm, you might use said gun.
If that police officer was my partner, brother, son or father and I had to pick between; he shoots a dog or gets his arm ripped off I'd rather him shoot the dog to be frank.
You can look at it on either side of the coin; the police officer could just be a huge **** and shot the dog to get back at the guy. None of us really know.

What's your opinion on the incident?
It's easy to say what should and shouldn't have happened with hindsight and I personally feel sorry for the policeman who has to live with this rep now, even if he didn't intend from the beginning to harm anyone and he just panicked. On the other hand he could be a spiteful idiot who deserves to be caught for doing it.

As for the amount of times the dog was shot, if my intent was to kill I'd shoot more than once to make sure it was dead and I wasn't shooting it once and leaving it alive to suffer a slow-death from a bullet wound that didn't kill first time.

TLDR; Police man and dog owner should have handled things better and the dog didn't need to die, but you can make understanding comments as to why things happened the way they did.

Last edited by a moderator:
Put simply, rottweilers have a reputation for being quite violent. If one was barking and leaping at me, I'd want it to get the hell away asap too. The officer was probably in fear of injury and/or death (those ****ers don't let go once they sink their teeth in; I've seen stories of them latching onto people and enduring being beaten with 2x4s without letting go) and honestly, switching to a non-lethal weapon would take valuable time that could lead to being bitten.

They weren't arresting him for filming on a public street. He was being arrested because he was being abusive towards the officers, making racist remarks (I don't care that he's black, it was a racist remark nonetheless), and generally being a toolbag.

Yeah I kinda meant his interfering lead to the arrest also, his comments obviously pushed it further than it needed to go.

Put simply, rottweilers have a reputation for being quite violent. If one was barking and leaping at me, I'd want it to get the hell away asap too. The officer was probably in fear of injury and/or death (those ****ers don't let go once they sink their teeth in; I've seen stories of them latching onto people and enduring being beaten with 2x4s without letting go) and honestly, switching to a non-lethal weapon would take valuable time that could lead to being bitten.

They weren't arresting him for filming on a public street. He was being arrested because he was being abusive towards the officers, making racist remarks (I don't care that he's black, it was a racist remark nonetheless), and generally being a toolbag.

I have to agree with [MENTION=1041]Rebecca Chambers[/MENTION] on this one, as like what was said rottweilers can be very violent animals and can maim/kill very easily; the officer was under threat. That said, I think he over-reacted as the dog had literally only jumped up, and I see no evidence of an attack. Besides, there were other officers who would have assisted. The point about four bullets you made I can't really agree with [MENTION=1403]Bowie[/MENTION]. It's horrible, yes, but I'd rather the dog be put down quickly than be shot once and left to die on the floor (even though it still happened).

I don't think there is a right or a wrong here. The police officer(s) could have handled the situation differently, but things also escalated quickly and I'm sure it was just a spur-of-the-moment action. I'm divided on this.

Back