What's new

How Do You Handle This Situation.

What Would You Do About Singers Who Are Nowhere To Be Found When Its Their Turn?

• Let the Song Play & Restart When They Appear

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • They Loose Their Turn Plain And Simple

• Wait For Them To Appear Before Starting The Song

• Other (Please Define In Thread)

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

ahoustondj

Active Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
Poll To Follow!
People sign up to sing but when its their turn they are nowhere to be found. How would/do you handle this situation. I go through the process of announcing the next three singers at the end/beginning of each song. There is a running scroll announcement on the bottom of the screen announcing the next singer, yet they sometimes disappear on me to go to the Bathroom or outside to smoke.
Vote In Poll

Going once, going twice, gone!

Their names scroll across all the screens in the room there is no excuse, however if someone is in the bathroom I may put them back in after two or three singers!

For someone who "disappears" to a bar down the street or who is out at their car taking a nip or blowing one (or the other) they have to resign and wait there turn!

Our wireless mics will work in the bathroom but we need to get a lyrics monitor in there.

I forgot to vote--we aren't in a very intense place with people counting the wasted seconds that could have added up to one more song per every 5 hours. So if it seems to have been an honest mistake like a mis-timed bathroom break then the person gets worked back in on their return. But if they are a repeat offender or being arrogant like making people wait for TWO more pool shots or whatever, then it is back of the line.

I used to skip them and call them up when they show up. If the rotation has moved around to the top of the rotation then I would have made them wait their original turn. With my new system they will have to wait til they get to their turn again, if they have another song in, or put in another request putting them at the bottom of the rotation.

I use to skip them until the next rotation but with Karma I just move them in the rotation to the bottom and that's where they remain for the remainder of the night as a penalty.... if they do it again and my list is longer again they get moved to the end.... I'm not going to suck up other singers time waiting for them to do their puff puff pass, or while they are floating an otter.

As others I give a going, going, going, gone.... Next Singer Please... and scroll the singer's on my monitor or monitors.

Depends on the singer for me but the standard way i usually handle it is i call for their name 3 times, then I skip to the next singer. Then on the next song, I call their name again, if they still aren't back they go to the end of the rotation. If at the end i still haven't found them I take their name right out, after which they will usually show up and say something like "when am i up?" :sqmad:

-James

From Page One of my songbook: "Rotation Rules"

If a singer is not in the establishment when their name is called they will have their request placed at the bottom of the rotation. If they are not present when their name is called the second time, they will be removed from the rotation.​

Moonrider said:
From Page One of my songbook: "Rotation Rules"

<B>
If a singer is not in the establishment when their name is called they will have their request placed at the bottom of the rotation. If they are not present when their name is called the second time, they will be removed from the rotation.
</B>

Do you read manuals?

I don't... :sqrolleyes::sqwink:

jokerswild said:
Do you read manuals?

Yes! People constantly ask me, "How do you know so much?"

I point at the manual and say, "It's all there in black and white!" :sqerr:

Moonrider said:
Yes! People constantly ask me, "How do you know so much?"

I point at the manual and say, "It's all there in black and white!" :sqerr:

LMAO.... sorry I ment that as tongue-n-cheek in reference to your "Rotation Rules" printed in your books.... I had those once but I could tell no one was reading them.

jokerswild said:
LMAO.... sorry I ment that as tongue-n-cheek in reference to your "Rotation Rules" printed in your books.... I had those once but I could tell no one was reading them.

That's ok. I read phone books too! :sqeek:

I think we put some "Rotation Rules" in our book, also, but I'm not sure if we remember what they are. There used to be a singer who came to our friend's show and was always trying to get them fired over the rotation so we put something in our book to point to in case he ever came on our night. But I couldn't tell you right now what it was.......

I simply bump them down one slot and call the next person. Usually they are in the bathroom or out having a smoke. But I only do it ONCE.

I call their name twice (quickly), and move on to the next singer. When they reappear I insert them back in as quickly as possible. My singers are very well trained to watch the scroller/singers screens (Latshaw Karma). I average between 19-23 singers per hour.

Mrmarog

Moonrider said:
That's ok. I read phone books too! :sqeek:

I read the dictionary once. Not much of a plot but the author has a GREAT vocabulary!

What are rotation rules? :sqerr:

Seriously, on Friday nights at the Elks Lodge there are four places they could be, the room, the bathroom, outside smoking, or gone. Abingdon Lodge #2354 is the biggest little lodge in Maryland so, unless they leave, they can't go far.

Generally I don't have the problem of them not coming up, particularly on contest nights. Most are hanging around with baited breath. On the rare occasion when they are not there I simply skip them and their turn is gone in that rotation segment. But, like I said, it doesn't happen that much.

mrmarog said:
I call their name twice (quickly), and move on to the next singer. When they reappear I insert them back in as quickly as possible. My singers are very well trained to watch the scroller/singers screens (Latshaw Karma). I average between 19-23 singers per hour.

Mrmarog

You have long 80 minute hours! :sqlaugh:

I run a very fast show and the most I ever got through in an hours time is 16 singers and that is only because no one picked a song that was over 4 minutes long in that hour!

Years of doing this I have always seen the average of 15 per hour and even when I was all disc based I was using 4 drawers and fading out on long outros and fading in on songs after the song title screen! With karma I set the start and finish of each song close enough for a decent overlap and still can't get over the average of 15 songs per hour!

How do you do it?

Thunder said:
You have long 80 minute hours! :sqlaugh:

I run a very fast show and the most I ever got through in an hours time is 16 singers and that is only because no one picked a song that was over 4 minutes long in that hour!

Years of doing this I have always seen the average of 15 per hour and even when I was all disc based I was using 4 drawers and fading out on long outros and fading in on songs after the song title screen! With karma I set the start and finish of each song close enough for a decent overlap and still can't get over the average of 15 songs per hour!

How do you do it?

LOL..I was going to say something about that too. Maybe they are all 2 minute Elvis songs? :sqlaugh:

Back