What's new

I'll take this $700 portable mp3 player! Who's got coupons? :)

It's designed by Compaq. It runs on Linux. Anyone else see something wrong with that?
I don't like it already.
smile.gif

----------------------------
On an long enough timeline, everyone's survival rate drops to zero.

<font color="#000000">[Edited by Diesel Dan on August 28, 2000 (edited 1 time)]</font>

Yeah. That Compaq name sure does sour it. Linux? You mean to say this is an x86 based device? Nah.... The concept sure is interesting, though.

hmm...must stop self from coveting new, untested technology products...but there so shiny...

my eyes, the goggles do nothing

Last time I checked, Linux ran on much more than x86. SPARC, PPC, and lest we not forget, Crusoe.

On an long enough timeline, everyone's survival rate drops to zero.

I remember seeing something like this, but it was a build-it-yourself and meant to be connected to your car radio. It also ran with Linux and at least a pentium 133(doesn't take much to uncompress MP3). The amount of space was up to the size of hard drive you wanted to purchase. It is in Maximum PC(3/00) and with all the stuff came to about $1300.

" I'll take 'the-rapist' for $200, Alex "

Dan, which do you think that it would be? I mean, we are talking about an embedded platform, in a way...

Creative's NOMAD Jukebox looks much better. 6 gigs and it looks kinda like a discman. They were taking pre-orders at E3 this year, my friend ordered two for $399 each (they'll retail at about $600-700 I believe), and of course he's sending one straight to eBay.
supergrin.gif

[edit] whoops, forgot the link! http://www.nomadworld.com/products/jukebox [/edit]

"Should I call you Logan, WeaponX?"

<font color="#000000">[Edited by nootch on August 31, 2000 (edited 1 time)]</font>

JH&gt; Could be anything, but this seems like an ideal application for Crusoe.

spidergoolash: "heh, a cup of diesel dan - mwahhha"
me: "heh, a cup of me is like a cup of heaven!"

Hmmm. That Nomad looks better. 8 MB of RAM? Wow, that little thing probably has more power than an old 486/33 I used to have in my first two years of college. Imbedded systems are usually rather fast, for what they do, anyways.

Back