What's new

Is freedom of information a mirage?

Niyi Briggs

Establishing Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
Freedom of information is a legislation that empowers citizens to request for and granted access to government documents and information regarding how a government is being run. As nice as the legislation is is it practical? Can one just walk into a government establishment and request for information and be granted?

Absolutely not as they always have painstakingly hard processes to get that information and often come with costs that are just irrational. Granted, I will say that I have worked with many government agencies and these issues seem much more a problem of terrible systems than the people and leadership not wanting to get the information out.

In our country, "right to information" is guaranteed by law. Technically speaking, any citizen can ask the government to provide information on any topic. However, this law is not followed. I believe this law is just a mirage, and I wonder why they created this law that no one cares to follow?

Those that created such laws just cared about being politically correct and never really wanted that to be used to benefit the society. They don't even allow the law to be practiced.

Back