What's new

Is it the 18th or 19th century?

G

I have a question to ask that has been on my mind for a very long time. It's probably a stupid question with an obvious answer but my curiosity has finally gotten to me.

You know how the 1800's are referred to the 19th century? Why is it that the 1800's aren't referred to as the 18 century, the 1900's referred to as the 19th century, and the present 2000's referred to as the 20th century?

Because 0-99 C.E. is referred to as the 1st century. 100-199 C.E. is therefore referred to as the 2nd century. So on and so forth.

Black Mage said:
Because 0-99 C.E. is referred to as the 1st century. 100-199 C.E. is therefore referred to as the 2nd century. So on and so forth.

Mage,

Are you using a different calendar then the rest of us? C.E.??? Is that the metric calendar?

It's still A.D., and B.C. if it occurred before the birth of Jesus Christ. Not some silly BCE or CE. :angel7:

I think this is the reason Mage prefers the usage of C.E.:

Of the period coinciding with the Christian era; preferred by some writers who are not Christians.

Just a guess.

Possibly.

But I'm not christian and I still use B.C A.D

But then there's nothing wrong with moving forward lol.

Yea thats another funny thing about time I noticed, it seems most people use AD and BC even if they are not Christian. Also they use the same days of the week and calender.

Black just wants everyone to admire his Trekkie connection and his Muslim affiliation. Don't sweat it Chris.

MooseBerry said:

Are you using a different calendar then the rest of us? C.E.??? Is that the metric calendar?
I don't think it is a metric calendar. Doesn't the metric calendar do everything in 10's? The "rest of us" apparently doesn't include:

Jehovah's Witnesses
The World Almanac
The College Board in its history tests
Some National Geographic Society publications
The Norton Anthology of English Literature
The United States Naval Observatory
The U.S.-based History Channel
Anyone who uses a western calendar but is not a Christian such as the 1.2 Billion Chinese.

(This list compiled from wikipedia)

It's still A.D., and B.C. if it occurred before the birth of Jesus Christ. Not some silly BCE or CE.
Well since the date, year and actual existence of Christ's birth are not known it doesn't seem so silly to move away from that type of designation.

Chrisl0 said:
Yea thats another funny thing about time I noticed, it seems most people use AD and BC even if they are not Christian. Also they use the same days of the week and calender.
I suspect that the BC/AD usage by non Christians is just a result of our popular culture. We have been using that designation for a long time and people are accustomed to it.

The days of the week and the months are both artifacts of Christianity's pagan roots. Some information can be found here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gregorian_calendar

ANGLOIRISH said:
Black just wants everyone to admire his Trekkie connection and his Muslim affiliation.
Are you trying to start a fight?

I don't think it is a metric calendar. Doesn't the metric calendar do everything in 10's? The "rest of us" apparently doesn't include:
Jehovah's Witnesses
The World Almanac
The College Board in its history tests
Some National Geographic Society publications
The Norton Anthology of English Literature
The United States Naval Observatory
The U.S.-based History Channel
Anyone who uses a western calendar but is not a Christian such as the 1.2 Billion Chinese.

(This list compiled from wikipedia)

Well since the date, year and actual existence of Christ's birth are not known it doesn't seem so silly to move away from that type of designation.
Now bob do behave. You know that Black used CE just to get things going around here. O and a belated Merry Christmas and a A Happy New Year 2007 AD to you as well, bob. Nice to hear from you.:sunny:

ANGLOIRISH said:
O and a belated Merry Christmas and a A Happy New Year 2007 AD to you as well, bob. Nice to hear from you.:sunny:
Thanks. Merry Christmas and happy all the other holidays around this time to you too. :)

just tell me when 2032 is,,i want a good seat to see the world end

bob_gray said:
Are you trying to start a fight?
Moi? A simple answer to the question that was posed by Chris would have been sufficient. You answered him without all the CE Pee Pee letters used by Black just to confuse the situation.

I find that when it comes to anything to do with answering an inquiry that Chris makes, Black always seems to want to baffle him. Just an observation.

mr.nice said:
just tell me when 2032 is,,i want a good seat to see the world end
I'll be dead so you are going to have to get Chris to e-mail the night before the big event. See you up there! ;)

ANGLOIRISH said:
Black just wants everyone to admire his Trekkie connection and his Muslim affiliation. Don't sweat it Chris.

LOL thats the truth. but if he was a trekkie wouldn't he say Stardate?

ANGLOIRISH said:
I'll be dead so you are going to have to get Chris to e-mail the night before the big event. See you up there! ;)

I will meet you and Lenny at the gates of heaven ;).

bob_gray said:
I suspect that the BC/AD usage by non Christians is just a result of our popular culture. We have been using that designation for a long time and people are accustomed to it.

The days of the week and the months are both artifacts of Christianity's pagan roots. Some information can be found here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gregorian_calendar

Thanks, its interesting to learn new stuff when you are not being stressed out.

Chrisl0 said:
I will meet you and Lenny at the gates of heaven ;).
I'll be the one in the burgundy smoking jacket and white satin pjs! I think I'll switch to a pipe then so look for a Hugh Hefner type person, OK?:eusa_ange

Back