What's new

joystick? gamepad? racing wheel?

HKnight

New Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
What should I get? Gamepad or joystick? Can I keep a racing wheel hooked up too? Any suggestions which brand/model to get of each?

HK

Personally i can't stand gamepads. I much prefer analogue joysticks because I play a lot of racing games, and a gamepad sucks for that, ditto for flight sims.

I'd like a steering wheel, but they're too bulky for my desk - I have no room as it is!

As for what kinda stick to get, your best bet is just to look in your local pc store and see how they feel..

Far as I know, you can have a usb wheel hooked up while a joystick plugs into your gameport. Otherwise you'll need to swap them.

I talked to some people about it and I think I'm going to go with the MS Pro one..sidewinder i think?

Thanks for your comments.

No probs
glasses.gif

I tried that one once when it was on sale. I find it a bit big, and it occupies too much desk space. Also, check that you like the feel of it - I thought the stick centering was way too slack.

I use a Gravis Analogue Pro. Fairly small stick, so i can put it under the monitor shelf, and it has a big tension wheel under the stick that allows you to adjust how strongly it resists. It has a small throttle wheel, but only 4 buttons, which isn't much nowadays..

Still, I think I'd like a force feedback stick - could be fun ;)

Difference of opinion here...

I currently have all three hooked up. I have an MS Sidewinder Gamepad Pro USB, an MS Sidewinder Precision Pro, and an MS Sidewinder Force Feedback Steering Wheel.

I basically use only the joystick for flight sims, which it is excellent for.
I occasionally use the wheel for racing games, but feel it takes too much to use it effectively for games like NFS.
I use the gamepad for just about everything, including NFS, which I love. The gamepad works well, if you're used to using it. I use the gamepad for racing games, sports games, basically everything except FPS.

No problems with it at all. I don't agree at all that a gamepad sucks for racing games, although I will say that it does suck for flight sims, which it obviously is not designed for.

------------------
Serendipity is looking for a needle in a haystack and finding the farmer's daughter.

Fair point. I guess i'm refering to microswitch gamepads, not ones with analog control. Driving needs a gradual turn like analogue allows, not the simple on/off..

:)

The Sidewinder Gamepad Pro USB allows you to toggle between analog and digital modes. It also has a digital proportional mode, which varies the movement based on the force you apply to the d-pad.
It might just change your mind about gamepads.:)

------------------
Serendipity is looking for a needle in a haystack and finding the farmer's daughter.

[Edited by Diesel Dan @ April 28, 2000 (edited 1 time)]

where can i get an inexpensive "microsoft control pad"? the cheapist price. i got one off of ebay for 12.00 but i wanna get another one... any suggestions

Shoot, if you walk into any CompUSA, you can get one for $20, and there's been a $10 rebate on them for as long as I can remember.

------------------
"Qualifications for being a Moderator at Anandtech...? I think that you have to be 17 or under, and the lobomoty has to be total. Partial lobomoty only gets you Elite Member status."

Back