What's new

Key switch idea

G

Going to be working on a new case soon with some friends. We are basing it off of HL². So it's going to be mostly red and yellow and orange inside, so there will be plent of cold cathodes and EL wire. I had an idea of using keyswitches whic are THESE to control the EL wire and the cold cathodes. Though it would give a nice Half Lfe feel to the case. What do you thing?

was planning on doing that for mine to turn on the computer, i haven't had time or money to buy the stuff yet but im sure i will by january

I've already done that with my case it took me about 5-10 mins for all of it, its a very simple mod. First i looked for a caple that would suffice being used and match up with the same wires on the old power cable. I ended up using just a speaker wire that was supposed to go from the mobo to the cdrom i think. i then cut the wires on one end and put the soldering iron on the soldering caps on the back of the switch till they were hot and put solder and the wire in and then put heatshrink over it all. Then i jus made sure it had the same wire configuration as before i plugged it in and worked fine. Really the only concern about this is to make sure you buy a momentary switch so its spring loaded, if not it will keep resetting itself until you switch it back.

Unknown he was talking about doing it with ccfls not comp on lol, would be pretty cool tho, keeps parentals away

yea that was my favortie part about it, im going to try and find a switch the exact same size as the lian li power button so i can just pop it out and put the keyswitch in its place

its a really nice idea. Nice military theme. I would have it control my whole computer since my next comp theme is going to be car oriented.

yeah I know about the momentary switch and how you can do it that way but maybe I will use the military switch for that. I don't know if you guys have ever seen it. It's a switch with a red cover over it like a pilots switch or a nuclear missle switch.

nah those get used too much, im saying a thumb print one that would be RAD!!!

I don't think tumbprint identification things are all that expensive.

Ahh you're stealing all my ideas! I was gonna use military switch and a momentary key switch. Bah...

sk8, that is not to much for the items purpose. Let me say it slowly for you, it scans your fingerprint and unless it is the stored print, it will not let you in. I originally thought they were going to cost hundreds of dollars when I first heard they were being produced.

its still kinda expensive, u could pasword the file. And most of us dont really need a fingerprint key unless were like working on secret stuff.

How do you know that we aren't working on secret stuff? *looks around nervously*

Anyone can duplicate a password, but it takes a hell of a good spy to duplicate a fingerprint especially for a scanner. Secondly, it is not really about secrecy, it is about having a freakin fingerprint scanner on your computer!!! fdjakfdsaofdkfndkalfd

i saw a link for a usb keyboard with a fingerprint id built in, around 150 -200, OUCH!!!
Either that or a good o'l mod idea of mine. Have a bay in ur case fold down when u turn it on then u gotta scann ur finger for it to boot. This is kinda like abits secure ide thingy, just imagin that with finger print recconition (sp)

they have those fingerprint mice at thing geek for 99 bux. i want an iris recognition to turn on my pc. that would be SCHAWEEET

Back