What's new

kitchen aid bakers...

successful

Mastermind Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
So, I just used my new kitchen aid from the Kohl's deal :) Proffessional 600 one.

I made bread with a 5lb bag of flour. THe machine says it is suppposed to hold the 14 cups.

So....

• the flour when putting in the final cups splattered all over (even with the guard) Why does the guard have a hole in it and not go all the way around?
  • the motor started to smell like it was working really hard
Is this normal?

Should the machine be splattering?

Am I doing too much even if the box says it is ok?

What are people's experiences?

engine will smell in the first uses until worn in. about 10 hours of use.

turn off motor when adding flour

have a great christmas!

Mine splashes, too. I usually turn the motor off, add a little flour (or liquid) at a time & then kind of "pulse" the on/off lever until it is incorporated, then turn it on faster.

Another thing and I believe the directions tell you this... But it's not a great idea to start your mixer with a huge batch of bread first. Mix something lighter like cookies or icing, just to get the gears going and lubricated. The hole in the shield is so you can add things while it is going

Another thing and I believe the directions tell you this... But it's not a great idea to start your mixer with a huge batch of bread first. Mix something lighter like cookies or icing, just to get the gears going and lubricated. The hole in the shield is so you can add things while it is going

:phew:phew! Made a cake first :)

I thought the shield guard was suppossed to protect the flour from flying out and I thought the spouty thing was for pouring things in. Why isn't it closed all the way around besides the spouty thing?

I have had 5 or 6 600pros burn out on me..just got a replacement one this week..anyway..I don't use the shield I use a towel draped over it to prevent splattering

I have had 5 or 6 600pros burn out on me..just got a replacement one this week..anyway..I don't use the shield I use a towel draped over it to prevent splattering

I think my Artisan is on it's last leg. It's really starting to sound rough sometimes, like it's really struggling. The other night it was really protesting making whipped cream. I've used it thousands of times over the past 14 years, I hope she holds out a little longer!

WHat is the Warranty?

I think my Artisan is on it's last leg. It's really starting to sound rough sometimes, like it's really struggling. The other night it was really protesting making whipped cream. I've used it thousands of times over the past 14 years, I hope she holds out a little longer!

I think their warranty is you can send it in and they will send you back a refurbished one...I need to look into it. I'm not sure if I registered mine when I got it. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have taken the time to do that back then.

it is a one year warranty. my partisan is working great still after 23+ years

I sent Kitchenaid an email last week telling them that mine and my daughter's mixers always have oil sitting under them when we move them off the counter. They said that they need to be run for 2 minutes every week at high speed to keep that from happening. Also, they said that if 1/4 cup of oil has leaked out, they needed to be serviced. I used mine to make cinnamon rolls Monday and it seemed to be dragging a bit. After mixing the dough for 5 minutes, I tried increasing the speed and there was no difference between the speed 4 or speed 10. Anyone else have this problem. The mixer is only 4 or 5 years old and hasn't been used a dozen times.

That's what mine is doing, cheesecake- the speed doesn't increase. It's goes from about 4 to 10 with no difference. I've never had the oil leaking, though. But I use mine 5-7 times a week.

I just saw that they have a 7qt one. I am drooling. :lol:

FYI for you kitchen aid mixer owners I don't know about you but I don't care for mine to sit on the counter and take up space. Years ago my hubby installed a lift for it. Works great. He did have to put screws around the mixer on the platform to stabilize as it rocks slightly on a high setting, but like I said works great and frees up room on the counter!

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=10751&Max=999

I am yet to open the pro 600. My dad is going to be very happy to be the owner of the Artisan. My sisters told me he tried to make buns and bread but didn't turn out too well with the hand kneading, so I want to get him a Kitchenaid so he could experiment with his new hobby.

I just saw that they have a 7qt one. I am drooling. :lol:

OMG :drool:

qjc6a32zap-t.jpg

but want =/= need.

Back