What's new

Multiple Monitors

Vic Trola

New Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
I copy my disks to a HD & use my laptop. I use a monitor . . . like everyone else (VGA or S-Video) . . . but . . . I have heard that in some venues you 'can' hook up to their multiple TV set up.

:worriedpill:Help!

Our venue has three tvs all hooked up to one splitter. Luckily the splitter is right next to the karaoke stage so we just hook onto it. They are older TVs so we do have to use an R/F modulator for our players. I don't know how it works via computer. If your venue's splitter is not convenient to your set-up, you may have to run your own cables to improvise something.

Get yourself a VGA splitter. Pretty common.

I use a Radio Shack splitter to go from SVGA to six video outputs that drive the five monitors in the venue. It's only 50 bucks and it works great.

Our venue has three tvs all hooked up to one splitter. Luckily the splitter is right next to the karaoke stage so we just hook onto it. They are older TVs so we do have to use an R/F modulator for our players. I don't know how it works via computer. If your venue's splitter is not convenient to your set-up, you may have to run your own cables to improvise something.

Yes, If the TV's use a coax connection, come out of your computer with a composite (RCA) or S-Video cable, and connect to an RF modulator. One can be purchased at Radio Shack for about $30 or less. Most RF modulators have both inputs. Set the switch on the modulator to either channel 3 or 4, and attach a coax from the modulator output to the back of the TV, or the splitter leading to the TV's. Set the TV's to the same channel you selected on the back of the RF modulator.....:winkpill:

we use rf modulators and rca's to run at least 4 sets and our monitor at each location.

I use an (x)(s)vga scan converter from the external monitor port, it has pass-thru for my singer's monitor and allows for composite, component & s-video out. I also have a 6 port signal amp (composite) so that I can hook into multiple monitors if a venue doesn't have interconnected video. I also carry an assortment of vga cables & extensions as well as composite cables for plugging into aux/video ports of just about any TV.

I've looked into wireless video and the costs are coming down but it is limited by signal range and line-of-sight requirements. I also not certain that my hosting software will recognize a usb video adapter.

Thanks,

This is just the information I need. :biggrinpill:

Errr . . . would you happen to have make and model on these devices?:worriedpill:

Maybe you should start by checking to see what kinds of inputs the club's tv's are equipped with. Usually you will find cable tv inputs, but you also may see rca (yellow composite) jacks and/or s-video inputs. I would suggest that if all of the sets have rca inputs you may want to use those inputs for karaoke video. The reason is that this will not interfere with the house satellite or cablevision systems. The rca wires will connect to a splitter that will lead back to your player/computer video output. By connecting to rca video inputs you will only have to change the television channel to aux when it is time to start the show. Of course, it you should change it back at the end of the show.

If the sets don't have rca input jacks, you may have to run coax cable to the sets. To simplify your set ups you may want to install an a/b switch on the cable input on each set. Then connect the house tv cable to the a side and your karaoke coax cable to the b side of the switch. This will allow you to select your karaoke video by flipping the switches. The other end of the coax cable will be connected to a splitter that leads back to a rf modulator which will lead back to your player/computer video output.

Regardless of whether you need to use rca wires or coax cable, since you wish to run more than one karaoke set, you will need to connect the wires to one or more splitters to divide the video output from your player/computer to the various wires to the various sets.

Your goal will be to use the least total footage of video wires. The more wire you use and the more splitters and/or switches you use, the weaker your signal will be at the sets.

If you have more than ninety feet of video wires or more than two splitters, you will probably want a video amplifier to boost the signal to all the sets. If you are using coaxial cable the amplifier should be installed between the rf modulator and the first cable splitter. If you are using rca cables, you will install the video amplifier between the video output on your player/computer and the first splitter.

The easiest place to buy compatable wires,splitters, a/b switches, rf modulators and video amplifiers is probably your local Radio Shack store.

If you are going to play at the location every week, you may want to set up the wiring once for regular use. Then just disconnect the wire going to the first splitter, leaving the rest of the wires connected for later use. This reduces your setup and breakdown time.

If you have not set up video before, it may take a couple of hours to connect all the pieces and wires the first time including pre show testing. This is in addition to the rest of your set up time. So, take the pressure off of yourself by starting extra early.

I didn't address the s-vido inputs on the back of the sets because s-video wires and adapters are more expensive and complicated to network. However, if you are using a computer output that is s-video you will need a little s-video to rca converter.

I hope that these thoughts are helpful and aren't to confusing.

There used to be a combo A/B switch/RF Modulator made by Magnavox. It seems to have gone out of production but you can still find them under the Phillips name on places like Amazon for around $30. I believe it is model 1151. It can connect up to 4 audio/video components to a TV and is s-video compatible and has both RCA and coaxial inputs.

Errr . . . would you happen to have make and model on these devices?:worriedpill:

The scan converter, GRANDTEC GXP-2000, was purchased through Radio Shack for about $100. It has component, s-video and composite out. I've found this one to be extremely versatile as I've used it in bars and private homes, hotels, etcetera.

http://www.grandtec.com/products/video/xppro.html

The cheaper model has only composite out which is sufficient for 99.9% of TVs out there. You just hook into the aux video (composite) port and change the input on the TV.

If you are trying to use composite to connect to several TVs at once via splitters and extra wires, then you could use a signal amp like this one for about $45:

http://homeavcables.com/40-936b.html

Back