What's new

Naming files already ripped...

Precisionpower

Establishing Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
O.k. heres the skinny.

About 2 years ago, I bought out a local KJ that was going outta business.

I absorbed the remaining shows that he had. But, Due to the fact i cannot sing
for chit...I really never went after the whole karaoke market.

And i hated dealing with disc's...So i digitized the library. Most were named and tagged, Some were not As i didn't have an internet connection.

So i have a bunch of folders of stuff not tagged..which is a P.I.T.A.!

Is there any way, (program) that will tag them from free-db or something?
Or will i have to manually do it, or re-rip them??

Precisionpower said:
O.k. heres the skinny.

About 2 years ago, I bought out a local KJ that was going outta business.

I absorbed the remaining shows that he had. But, Due to the fact i cannot sing
for chit...I really never went after the whole karaoke market.

And i hated dealing with disc's...So i digitized the library. Most were named and tagged, Some were not As i didn't have an internet connection.

So i have a bunch of folders of stuff not tagged..which is a P.I.T.A.!

Or will i have to manually do it, or re-rip them??

Are they all named correctly... meaning the file names are in some form or another as follows

SC2400-01 - Artist - Title.zip

If so you could use KJ File Manager from www.latshawsystems.com it will not only rename your files according to whatever convention you choose but you can also automatically tag the mp3 file.

I was just telling Houston this in his thread about file renaming... cost is $79 for the program but well worth it..... no need to re-rip if you don't have to.... and it works much like Tag-Rename except that it can deal with multiple file types and renaming them to match even while within a zip file.

BTW there are all kinds of nice tools with this program from being able to rename the files within a zip as well as the zip itself to even swapping fields. For example you have imported only to discover that it's got the Artist and DISCID columns swaped... no problem the program can take care of that for you in it's popup menus you can swap fields.... heck you can even take artist names and chage them from Brooks, Garth to just Garth Brooks in a blink of an eye and have all files matching....

It's really cool even if you only ever use it once in awhile for mass file correction projects like I do.... I get a bunch of new discs rip 'em then I pull them in and correct spelling and other issues so that they match any duplicated songs for simplifiying lists by eliminating what gets printed.

Are you sure about the tag thing rob? Must be a newer feature because when i bought mine it didn't have that, but then I haven't upgraded in almost two years..

I'll have to check that out..

thanks

-James

Precisionpower said:

Just to make sure we aren't mixing up terms...when you say "tagging" are you talking about metadata tags (ID3, etc?)? Or simply the filename structure? Two very different things. What program do you use for playout?

jclaydon said:
Are you sure about the tag thing rob? Must be a newer feature because when i bought mine it didn't have that, but then I haven't upgraded in almost two years..

I'll have to check that out..

thanks

-James
Yes, KJ File Manager can tag the MP3 even while in the zip file based on how it's imported into the program... meaning the DiscID becomes the Album tag, Artist=Artist, Title=Title... I don't think it tags track number since that is part of the DiscID....

Also as you make changes to the file name it updates the file names of all three files the zip, mp3 and CDG to match....

It works quite well.

I run zip but, had tagged the mp3 while zipped and then unzipped a sample to see if it had tagged the mp3 and sure enough it had.

Back