What's new

New Orleans Hornets to Change Team Name Once Sold

tronik

Active Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
Once the NBA finds a buyer for the Hornets, there’s talk that it could result in a name change for New Orleans‘ hoops team. Reports SI (via the Times-Picayune):
“In years to come, there promises to be a new cable-TV partnership, the NBA All-Star Game will return to the city, the New Orleans Arena will undergo $50 million in improvements, and the franchise, in all likelihood, will be rebranded. The ‘Hornets’ nickname, which followed the team to New Orleans during its 2002 relocation from Charlotte, will probably be replaced by an identity more fitting to the city to which the team is now married, for better and for worse.
Though everyone involved hopes the worst is now far behind them. [...] The most interesting decision of the new owner may be whether to rebrand the franchise. Will the ‘Hornets’ nickname be relinquished and enabled to return to Charlotte, where owner Michael Jordan could rebrand his own underperforming franchise? If so, how would the basketball team of New Orleans rename itself? No suggestions will be made here, for the new name would have to represent the resilient spirit of New Orleans and its fans. It would be the finishing act of a franchise that has been reinvented, a team committed to the city that wouldn’t let go.”

source: http://www.inflexwetrust.com/?p=234660&wt=2

I like the current name for the Hornets, and I think they have the best logo in the NBA. They would be dumb to change the team name.

They probably want to do a whole "makeover" and try to erase the bad records associated with the Hornets name.

Sort of how the fact that the Sonics losing ways are a distant memory ever since the team moved and were renamed the Thunder.

They probably want to do a whole "makeover" and try to erase the bad records associated with the Hornets name.

Sort of how the fact that the Sonics losing ways are a distant memory ever since the team moved and were renamed the Thunder.
But the Sonics moved from Seattle to Oklahoma City so that made sense to change the team name since it was a new city.

I think they will probably do what you just said in the similar sense of what happened to the Sonics. Now they're OKC and they are an amazing team with no bad record at all.

Unfortunately, Utah still has the Jazz moniker so they can't take that one. It would be hysterical to see them just swap nicknames, since Utah is the beehive state.

Jersey sales through the roof!

If it happened I would giggle like a school girl but honestly I don't think it's worth chasing either. I'm one of the few apparently that likes the name Bobcats (especially over the others in the running that sounded like WNBA names like Flight).

Pure conjecture but I feel like the franchise has tried to make tiny concessions over the years to get some of those bandwagon ex-Hornets fans like dropping the orange jerseys to the more Hornet's palette color of blue (hate our blue jerseys) and later adding pin stripes. If Rufus gets wings next year I'll know my conspiracy theory is true.

If it happened I would giggle like a school girl but honestly I don't think it's worth chasing either. I'm one of the few apparently that likes the name Bobcats (especially over the others in the running that sounded like WNBA names like Flight).

Pure conjecture but I feel like the franchise has tried to make tiny concessions over the years to get some of those bandwagon ex-Hornets fans like dropping the orange jerseys to the more Hornet's palette color of blue (hate our blue jerseys) and later adding pin stripes. If Rufus gets wings next year I'll know my conspiracy theory is true.

Too funny. I understand that Charlotte was in a bit of a weird situation, they really should have just been able to keep the Hornets. It's especially frustrating because the Hornets are such a terrible organization now.

You put up a valid, good point lol. I'll be on the lookout of your conspiracy theory does end up turning to be true haha:).

This is totaly false regarding the Sonics. Sonics fans hated to see the Sonics move to OKC. The city of Seatle, and the Sonic fans, pressured the NBA to preserve the Sonic brand so that, someday, they could get another franchise in the city. Someday seatle will have the Sonics again.

This happened in Cleveland when Art Model, the owner of the Browns, moved the team to Baltimore. Cleveland retained the right to the "Browns", forcing Art Model to choose another in Baltimore (Ravens).

This is totaly false regarding the Sonics. Sonics fans hated to see the Sonics move to OKC. The city of Seatle, and the Sonic fans, pressured the NBA to preserve the Sonic brand so that, someday, they could get another franchise in the city. Someday seatle will have the Sonics again.

This happened in Cleveland when Art Model, the owner of the Browns, moved the team to Baltimore. Cleveland retained the right to the "Browns", forcing Art Model to choose another in Baltimore (Ravens).

What's so false about it? THEY (meaning the new owners) is what was being referred to, not the fans. There is nothing false about my statement because I NEVER spoke about the fans to begin with. YOU somehow came to that conclusion.

Let's respect whatever decision the new owner will have once the team is bought. What's important is that the team needs new players that can help them next season. I hate to see the Hornets being one of the worst team right now.

The Sonics were not "distancing" themselves from their losing ways. It was a move for money, nothing more.

The Sonics did not have "losing ways". From 1974-75 until 2008, when they moved, the Sonics made the playoffs 22 times (missing the playoff 10 times). They reached the finals 3 times. Won the finals in 77-78 and losing the finals in 76-77 and 95-96. They had one stretch in which they made the playoffs 8 consecutive times.

The Sonics were not losers. And no, I am not a Sonics fan. I live in AZ and am a life long SUNS fan. However, I think it was travesty that they had to move.

Hope this clears up how you were false.

The Sonics were not "distancing" themselves from their losing ways. It was a move for money, nothing more.

The Sonics did not have "losing ways". From 1974-75 until 2008, when they moved, the Sonics made the playoffs 22 times (missing the playoff 10 times). They reached the finals 3 times. Won the finals in 77-78 and losing the finals in 76-77 and 95-96. They had one stretch in which they made the playoffs 8 consecutive times.

The Sonics were not losers. And no, I am not a Sonics fan. I live in AZ and am a life long SUNS fan. However, I think it was travesty that they had to move.

Hope this clears up how you were false.

Yeah and then AFTER their last playoff years, they were losing continuously AND losing money. They couldn't even fill up the seats. Which is why the OWNERS (not the fans) chose to move and rename the team.

Look at the KEYWORD here, the OWNERS chose this, not the FANS. This thread is about the OWNERS choosing to move them, not the fans. Like I said, what falsehood? Because you cleared up much of nothing bro

I am excited about this, mainly because some have speculated in my area that the Charlotte Bobcats will reclaim the Hornets name if indeed New Orleans abandons it.

Most people might not like the Hornets mascot in NO, but here in the Carolinas, we all very much miss the Hornets.

I am excited about this, mainly because some have speculated in my area that the Charlotte Bobcats will reclaim the Hornets name if indeed New Orleans abandons it.

Most people might not like the Hornets mascot in NO, but here in the Carolinas, we all very much miss the Hornets.

This would be good. Bobcats isn't a good team name. I still identify with the Charlotte Hornets more than anything else.

Give the Hornets name back. kthxbye.

I don't care what they change it to. If the Sonics name got to stay with Seattle, why should every other team name be designated?Bob cats are stupid.Their slightly bigger than the average house cat. If one of those things hissed at me, I'd punt the living crap out of it. I"m not messing around with a hornet.

Charlotte might have more success with their Hornets name back (and getting rid of MJ as as GM!)

Will be interesting to see their new name - New Orleans err Pandas ;)

Charlotte might have more success with their Hornets name back (and getting rid of MJ as as GM!)

Will be interesting to see their new name - New Orleans err Pandas ;)

Rich Cho is their GM now. Jordan is definitely terrible as a front office guy and isn't the best judge of talent. Still remember how he was saying Rodney White would be a great player and he turned out to be a huge bust. Then you have the Morrison and May picks that ended up horrible as well.

Back