What's new

No Radar Needed in Ohio for Speeding Tickets - just a Guess

lol @ visual estimate

ya judge, he looked like he was going 80 mph

:lol:

That will never last, especially in court cases. For a speeding case to be taken seriously, there must be actual proof and records that the person was indeed, driving much faster than they should have been. Visual estimates are really a silly and non-practical idea.

People are bad at judging speed over distance. How many times have you pulled out from a side street and thought the guy was going slow enough and was far enough away from you to make the turn safely only to have the guy right on your bumper when your done making the turn?

I do know in NY some PDs are allowed to pace cars. Setting to visual points measuring the distance between them then calculating the time it takes a car to cross each point. Most don't bother as it's a lot easier to use radar or laser.

I got pulled over by a state trooper for speeding a month ago and he saw that I had a radar detector neatly tucked away by my knee on the dash. He saw it and he said "that's a nice radar detector, but did you know you're not supposed to have those?" Funny part is I looked up a Revised Code from the state and there is no code that states having a radar detector in your car is unlawful so I took it to court and made that State Trooper look like a complete ****! it was great! the judge said "it's unconstitutional to look inside anyone's car without probable cause and a warrant issued from a Judge like me, Trooper So&So. I don't what the situation" (we'll call him)

Back