What's new

Oakbrook area restaurants?

MessyT

Expert Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
My cousin and her family will be in Chicago over the weekend and we have agreed to meet in the Oakbrook area for dinner. She would like to go to an "authentic" Chicago restaurant. Guess it won't really be "authentic" if we aren't in the city, but looking for something Chicago style I guess. Anyone have anything they can recommend?

My cousin and her family will be in Chicago over the weekend and we have agreed to meet in the Oakbrook area for dinner. She would like to go to an "authentic" Chicago retaurant. Guess it won't really be "authentic" if we aren't in the city, but looking for something Chicago style I guess. Anyone have anything they can recommend?
There's Morton's, Gibson's, Ditka's and Harry Carrey's in Oak Brook/Lombard. I'd recommend J. Alexanders for the best baby back ribs anywhere. If looking for cheaper alternatives, there's Giordano's, The Patio and a Portillo's isn't too far north on 83.

chama gaucha in lombard

they have a website. we are taking my dad there for his birthday on sunday!

I don't know how "authentic Chicago" it is but we like to eat at The Clubhouse. They have a varied menu so everyone should be able to find something that they like on there. They also have a great dessert menu with chocolate cake and yummy profiteroles!

I'm not sure exactly what you want... but that area has everything. Portillo's on Butterfield (Downers Grove) or Route 83 (both nearby) has a little bit of everything too, if you are just looking for something fast.

We had family in from St. Louis a few weeks ago and had the same request... ended up at Lou Malnati's Pizza in the city after American Girl shopping.

Let us know what you settle on...

What about Giordano's, Maggiano's or Pompei? I haven't been to Ditka's or Harry Caray's, but those are pretty expensive from what I gather like the Weber Grill on Butterfield. Maybe a trip to Uncle Bub's in Westmont on Cass Ave. (same street as Midwest Rd.) could be fun too if they want a local place. If you want to go to a more local Greek restaurant you could try Kappy's, Simon's (both in Villa Park on Roosevelt Rd.) or Omega (Highland in Lombard by Yorktown Mall). There's nothing magical about Oak Brook that you have to drop $100 on a steak dinner at a big name restaurant. Besides the Giordano's stuffed pizza, an Aurelio's thin crust pizza for carryout is always good too. There's one of those on Roosevelt Rd. near Kappy's and Outback. I also think Portillo's is a nice place for lunch on Butterfield or 83.

If you have time Oberweis Dairy is the best local chain for ice cream in my opinion. There is one on Butterfield and York in Elmhurst (northeast of Oak Brook) and on Odgen Ave. (south of Oak Brook) in Westmont.

What about Giordano's, Maggiano's or Pompei? I haven't been to Ditka's or Harry Caray's, but those are pretty expensive from what I gather like the Weber Grill on Butterfield. Maybe a trip to Uncle Bub's in Westmont on Cass Ave. (same street as Midwest Rd.) could be fun too if they want a local place. If you want to go to a more local Greek restaurant you could try Kappy's, Simon's (both in Villa Park on Roosevelt Rd.) or Omega (Highland in Lombard by Yorktown Mall). There's nothing magical about Oak Brook that you have to drop $100 on a steak dinner at a big name restaurant. Besides the Giordano's stuffed pizza, an Aurelio's thin crust pizza for carryout is always good too. There's one of those on Roosevelt Rd. near Kappy's and Outback. I also think Portillo's is a nice place for lunch on Butterfield or 83.

If you have time Oberweis Dairy is the best local chain for ice cream in my opinion. There is one on Butterfield and York in Elmhurst (northeast of Oak Brook) and on Odgen Ave. (south of Oak Brook) in Westmont.

Absolutely!!! OMG, I was thinking the same thing about those expensive places. Heck, I live a hop, skip and jump away and wouldn't drop $100 on a steak dinner at those big name places. I think most business there can be attributed to corporate expense accounts.

Uncle Bub's BBQ is great and a good value. Moreforless mentioned many affordable places... and local stars.

I agree that Oberweiss is a great idea for some ice cream too... kind of nice to sit and visit if they are going to be coming to town and need to chill a little. It might be nice to have lunch/dinner and dessert too.

chama gaucha in lombard

they have a website. we are taking my dad there for his birthday on sunday!

Great suggestion but this is Brazillian style food so maybe not exactly Chicago type food. Then again, they call it the melting pot city so tell the fam that they are gettin it all!! :lol:

The food there is delicious but the prices are better during lunch. It can be pretty pricy at dinner but you will not regret the expense if you want some great food. Get the Sangria too if you like that, it's delicious and great with the prime cut steak! They even give you a tiny spoon to eat up the fruit! :cartwheel: The buffet is even wonderful! Enjoy skincarekathy!! I prayed on gift cards to this restaurant during the GC deal at jewel and Doms and nope!!! They have a application form sent via email by request only and no discounts for purchasing GC either. I tried!! :pout:

Wow! Thanks to all for the great ideas. I'll check out the menu's today. I was originally thinking something like a Ginos East or Lou Malnatti's (hate Giordano's). But now I have lots of options to check out. So thank you all for the tips, keep 'em coming if you think of anything else.

Back