What's new

Opening a New Front Against Secret IP Treaties

jamick

Established Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
We Beat Them to Lima: Opening a New Front Against Secret IP Treaties

An expanded edition of EFFector, EFF's almost-weekly newsletter.

I?m Danny O?Brien, EFF?s new International Director. Five years ago, I worked on the EFF team that identified the threat of ACTA, a secret global intellectual property treaty we discovered was being used to smuggle Internet control provisions into the laws of over thirty countries. Together with an amazing worldwide coalition of activists from Europe to South Korea, we beat back that threat.

I?m writing to you today to explain what's happening with the new ACTA: the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP). TPP has been around since the Bush administration, but recently the pace has picked up, with governments saying they want to get the agreement signed and done by the end of this year.

Global activism can stop TPP, but preventing the endless merry-go-round of new IP treaties means tackling the problem at its roots. I'd like to describe what we're doing on both those fronts, and how you can help. But first, I'd like you to meet this gentleman:

Read more

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2013/05/were-opening-new-front-against-secret-ip-treaties

I'm going to be honest, ACTA went over my head and so does this; all I know is that it's some internet-censorship bollocks that nobody apart from governments and companies. The day something like this gets approved and implemented is the day many people realize just how restrictive these higher-ups want to be.

Back