What's new

Out of curiosity, is there a full list of admin forums to be found anywhere?

CM30

Senior Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
I know of about 11 so far, and I'm just curious how many there are in total. Also, how active each of them is would be interesting to know as well, because it seems none I know of seem to exceed 50 or 100 posts a day for whatever reason.

If the site stays strictly within the "admin" niche, I think it would be pretty difficult to grow beyond the 50-100 posts/day range. Mainly because if you take the average human being, very few are interested in "admining", and of those, not a very high percentage are going to go somewhere to ask a question about it. I just think it would be tough to get a very high amount of traffic on that particular niche without branding out into other areas as well.

My forum for example has an "admin" area, but it's just a very small part of the overall forum... for example maybe you could argue the "Design & Development" area would be the equivalent of an admin forum that was strictly for admining... http://forums.digitalpoint.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15

If you want to grow an admin forum, I think you need to branch out into other areas that could be similar, but not necessarily admining in itself.

As a side note, Digital Point started mostly as a support forum for our products/tools... the topics/areas we cover have been pretty organic over the years, with us adding sub-sections based on existing topics that were already being posted that could cover the topic. Back when we opened, we had far less categories... Compare the Way Back Machine here:

http://web.archive.org/web/20040602091328/http://forums.digitalpoint.com/

to the categories we have now:

http://forums.digitalpoint.com/

I know of about 11 so far, and I'm just curious how many there are in total. Also, how active each of them is would be interesting to know as well, because it seems none I know of seem to exceed 50 or 100 posts a day for whatever reason.
I don't believe there's a list anywhere online. There's a lot of them out there and some don't have quality content or something good to offer its community, like Shawn stated. TAZ is one of the biggest, but they do like 1oo-300 posts per day. Is that because of their age and how long people have been going there? Other admin forums don't seem to get that much activity though. @dojo has an admin forum, I wonder what her post per day is, same with @Shawn Gossman

I don't believe there's a list anywhere online. There's a lot of them out there and some don't have quality content or something good to offer its community, like Shawn stated. TAZ is one of the biggest, but they do like 1oo-300 posts per day. Is that because of their age and how long people have been going there? Other admin forums don't seem to get that much activity though. @dojo has an admin forum, I wonder what her post per day is, same with @Shawn Gossman

Most days I post about 60-100 times in a day however I get into posting spree moods and I have been known to spark about 200-500 new topics in a day which turns into more after about 10 people reply to them :p

I'm not trying to be harsh, Shawn, but do you ever think you might be overdoing it a bit?

I just looked at Another Admin Forum now, and literally every topic in the last day and most in the other days are by the exact same person. I mean, you're a great example of an admin who actually cares about their site, unlike some other admins in the same niche who seem to just up and vanish for a few days or weeks at random, but literally half the posts on the site are by one person.

I'm not trying to be harsh, Shawn, but do you ever think you might be overdoing it a bit?

I just looked at Another Admin Forum now, and literally every topic in the last day and most in the other days are by the exact same person. I mean, you're a great example of an admin who actually cares about their site, unlike some other admins in the same niche who seem to just up and vanish for a few days or weeks at random, but literally half the posts on the site are by one person.

I don't see it being harsh at all my friend :)

I am aware of this. However in the many many years I have been doing this, I have noticed that its what it takes to get a forum going. I mean AAF is going good but its not at its full potential yet and that full potential may be years ahead. I figure I will help by doing all the hard work now (posting the most new topics and such) to set an example to others. I always make sure people know I welcome new topics even if the topic may already exist. I am not that strict about making a topic that already exists, I just ask they try to add something more to it.

Its starting to help, really. I am starting to see more people go on their own and make more new topics. Eventually, I feel I will be able to cut down on my new topics and focus more on replying to others who make them. Until that time comes, I'll keep writing new ones to not only help kick start the process but to simply express the fact that I love to talk a lot. I am extremely social both online and offline :p

Yeah, I see what you mean. I'm arguably in the same boat myself, I try and make extremely regular topics to drum up interest too.

Heck, I might join your forum at some time in the future, since I kind of like being on admin forums. Maybe if then I post a few topics as well it might look a bit more active.

That is up to you :) we would love to have you there! Its a good community. We have a lot of programmers and designers there which I am trying to get more integrated into the forum.

But back on the topic, we (the forum owners) are the leaders of the game, people (the members) tend to follow the leader. If you post new topics to engage others and build up relationships, the people will tend to see it as an example and follow your lead. That is the ulitamte goal when trying to get a forum to be popular. :)

I think its all about relationships too, you need to make your members feel comfortable to post new content to your forum and that is all down to how you are with your management style. Do you run your forum as a business? Or do you run your forum as a community of friends and people you could call something close to a family?

Shawn is an example for us too. I mean you have a rocket down your pants or something ;)

I don't think there's an 'official' list. I usually search for admin forums in google to get to new results. Or rely on my bookmarks, where I kinda have all the forums that matter in the niche

Back