What's new

Pelosi's second mistake???

rantingredneck

Part Of The Furniture
PF Member
Reaction score
OK, Nancy Pelosi is the incoming Speaker of the House of Representatives. I can accept that. I think......:unsure:

Her first mistake it seems was backing Rep. Jack Murtha for House Majority Leader (the no. 2 post) over Rep. Steny Hoyer who was in line for the position due to his former position as Minority Whip. Murtha was implicated as an "unindicted co-conspirator" in the ABSCAM scandal back in the late 70's/early 80's. His track record on ethics has left a lot to be desired since. Luckily her fellow Democratic house members disagreed and handily elected Hoyer.

Will her second mistake be to appoint Rep. Alcee Hastings (D-FL) to Chairman of the House Intelligence Committee? Unfortunately this decision is hers and hers alone. For those who don't remember or haven't read about the Honorable Mr. Hastings, he was a federal judge appointed by Carter who was impeached in 1988 by a vote of 413-3 by a Democratic House and removed from office by a substantial majority in a Democratic Senate for accepting bribes. He was only the 10th federal judge in our history to be impeached. He ran for and won a House seat in Florida in 1992, and has served ever since. It appears as if Pelosi has ruled out Jane Harmon for this post even though she has the seniority on the committee and would logically be in line for it. She has the backing of the "Blue Dog Democrats", Hastings has the backing of the CBC, including apparently John Conyers who co-sponsored Hasting's impeachment resolution and was an impeachment manager in his Senate trial.

Without a doubt it should be interesting to see if Hastings gets the nod and how Pelosi will justify that given her promise to clean up the "culture of corruption". It will also be interesting to see the justifications of the other house members who were around in '88 and voted for his impeachment. Many of them are still there.

Different party, different players, but the same old ****...

RR, why don't you and I take over? If I thought we could keep Mark in line, we'd make him attorney general. Of course, we would have to make him burn his ABA card.:p

Different party, different players, but the same old ****...

RR, why don't you and I take over? If I thought we could keep Mark in line, we'd make him attorney general. Of course, we would have to make him burn his ABA card.:p

LOL

I'm actually not a member of the ABA (nor the ACLU).

However, I do send money to the Southern Poverty Law Center.

Is that enough of a liberal credential for you?

I would have hopen the Democarts would started being as partisan as the Republicans have been the last 20 years, but apparently that's not going to happen.

LOL

I'm actually not a member of the ABA (nor the ACLU).

However, I do send money to the Southern Poverty Law Center.

Is that enough of a liberal credential for you?

That's ok. You and I are probably in the same boat. As you well know, among the extremes of either party, anything to the left of Attilla the Hun is a liberal pinko, anything to the right of Ghandi is a right-wing nut. If you are not totally with us, you are against us.

I give generously to conservation organizations, and I made my 1st political contribution ever this last election; to the effort (successful) to defeat Proposition 107, which purported to ban gay marriage, but in actuality would also have banned domestic partner benefits, whether homosexual or heterosexual. We are the only state so far to defeat it. Even though we are considered a conservative state, we are in actuality a libertarian state. We don't want the government, whether democrat or republican, liberal or conservative, interfering with people's private lives.

Back