What's new

Perimenopause and Menopause

deeblondbuzz

SuperLifeCoach
PF Member
Reaction score
When did you start to notice the change and what symptoms did you have?

weight gain, lethargy, period every two weeks are the worst symptoms for me. started late spring and I will be 50 in Dec.

I was 47-48 and started having hot flashes and night sweats. Then I didn't have my period for about 10 months, and right around this time the hot flashes stopped. I thought I was done--and remember thinking "That was easy!". Then about 3 months ago I started having regular periods again.

I have heard this from several people--that their period stopped--for almost a year--and then it just starts again--but this time it switches to where instead of being hot all the time you are cold---then later will switch back
I was told this happens around age 51 or 52
A friend of mine told me her doctor told her if you go an entire year then you are done (she was bummed because she was at 11 months and days away from one year when it started AGAIN)
She told me mood swings are HUGE_-that she would just kind of take an I don't care attitude or a don't mess with Mom attitude--that lasts a long time--instead of just being that way during that time of the month--it was all the time--she said that was the best part
She also said that she would have times of spaciness just like when you are pregnant and your brain is mush--and there were times she would get dizzy for now reason--just get very dizzy or for a moment have a mini black out---which the doctor told her is extremely common.
Sounds fun--doesn't it???

They say whatever age your Mom went thru it is when you will also. My Mom was early in her 40's and my sister 43..I am 40 and hoping I break that cycle :)

I'm 53 and my Man-O-Pause started about when EC started airing, then really flared up with Fukalista and the whole WT fiasco. Now, there is hardly a deal to be had. I have awful hot/cold flashes and terrible mood swings. I really hope this passes soon 'cause Dh ain't happy.
You think I'm kidding?
Just ask him!!!:surrender:

I have heard this from several people--that their period stopped--for almost a year--and then it just starts again--but this time it switches to where instead of being hot all the time you are cold---then later will switch back
I was told this happens around age 51 or 52
A friend of mine told me her doctor told her if you go an entire year then you are done (she was bummed because she was at 11 months and days away from one year when it started AGAIN)
She told me mood swings are HUGE_-that she would just kind of take an I don't care attitude or a don't mess with Mom attitude--that lasts a long time--instead of just being that way during that time of the month--it was all the time--she said that was the best part
She also said that she would have times of spaciness just like when you are pregnant and your brain is mush--and there were times she would get dizzy for now reason--just get very dizzy or for a moment have a mini black out---which the doctor told her is extremely common.
Sounds fun--doesn't it???

I felt that all last week and now I'm feeling better but I'm going to the doctor tomm because I didn't like anything I experienced and need to find something to make me feel better all the time.

I felt that all last week and now I'm feeling better but I'm going to the doctor tomm because I didn't like anything I experienced and need to find something to make me feel better all the time.

Better living through pharmacology!!

My doctor appt is in another hour. I horrible at being the patient. Hopefully she can suggest something for relief.

I went to my family doctor. She is doing blood work to determine is I have anemia. She wants to wait to see if I need more iron in my diet before she gives further instructions.

Your body is changing everyday. It's when you notice the goatee, then It finally sinks in! :quiet:

I just got my blood test results, everything came up NORMAL. My blood sugar was a little high but I didn't fast as I didn't think there would be a blood test. So why have I been feeling like ****?

I made another appointment to get my blood pressure checked. It was 125/100. I was the same when I had my cortizone shot but both doctors dismissed it because they thought I was nervous. Umm yeah I don't think so and I need to be on more powerful meds to get it down. I go through this with my mom all the time, but I haven't been taking care of myself but I sure know how to "fix" the problem. :snicker:

Well my blood pressure was sky high once again. I knew it because I've felt the pounding headaches and other stuff that comes along with it. Got new meds. Hopefully, I will start taking better care of myself and not neglect myself all the time.

Oh and I learned that when you are going through the "change" you need to take a multi vitamin, which I do but she gave me a prenatal vitamin because she feels it will help and to eat soy.

I've never eaten soy so can anyone suggest some foods. She did say soy milk is good but I don't even like milk so I doubt I would drink soy milk.

try tofu and look for recipes on the net.

as to your high B/P, a series of random readings @ 100 diastolic warrants an anti-hypertensive medication. your primary may give you a low dose to see if it works for you. I guess it comes with age, I never thought I'd be on anti hypertensive pills myself. I've been on several supplements we got free from WAG, the only problem I have now is a see food diet ~ I eat when I see food. So I keep cauliflower, carrot sticks handy when I have the urge to eat. ugh.

I'm also undergoing menopause, I sleep very little so what I do is get up and do chores when I wake up around 1 or 2 am. I can do a lot more in less time when everyone is asleep :lol:

I've been on a low dose for years and years but have neglected to go and get my bp checked more because I'm always at a doctor dealing with my mom's issues.

I know all about high blood pressure and meds. My mom has gone through changes of pills. She is finally on the right dose. So I know that it's kinda trial and error til you get a consistent reading. I need to get a new bp machine. Ours died. I think I want the wrist one.

I have to let you girls know that the doctor recommended drinking soy milk to get back some of the estrogen my body has been losing. Well, I never drink milk so I thought oh this is going to be a hardship. So I get a half gallon of chocolate Silk milk and you know what??? It made me feel awesome and brought back my energy level.

I have since gotten two cases of vanilla soy milk at Costco and add a little Hersey syrup to it and no more hot flashes!!!!!!! Woohoo.

Back