Really odd and a bit scary!

fords8

Hanging Out!
Peak Director
Peak Mediator
Mountaineers
PF Member
Reaction score
Ok, I have mentioned I am a bit odd about some foods, namely dairy. I am quite nervous about food poisoning, so 99% of the time, I check expiration dates like most people change socks. This last shopping trip, I was busy and didn't look at the date on the half & half. I have used 1/4 of the container now. I look at the date while enjoying an afternoon cup of coffee. It is dated April 23rd, 2011. Anyone ever buy milk (not organic, soy or nut, as I realize they have quite a bit longer date) that has a 6 month date???

I have been drinking it and have felt fine. now that I know the date, I am making myself ill feeling just thinking it is the wrong date!!!

Wow, that is a long date. Is it like the Nesquick we got last winter where maybe it doesn't need to be refrigerated until it is opened? I find the Smart Balance milk strange. That stuff has long exp dates, although not 6 months. We've consumed a lot of it (when we get if free we take it) and never had any issues until a few days ago. One of the cartons was bad. The kids were complaining it tasted "fishy" and they don't know about the fish oil in it. I didn't even notice (I had some in my cereal) but when dh confirmed (and he is not picky at all) we dumped it down the drain. No one got sick though.

?????????????????????????????????????????? wow

No, it is from aldi, its half & half... just 1/2 milk and 1/2 cream... keep refrigerated half n half...

i think i am making myself feel ill with worrying... as it has not tasted or smelled funky at all. Now that ive seen the date, it makes me nervous, kwim?

go pour it out.....you will never forgive yourself if you don't.....

I know H&H and creams have longer dates than milk, but that's nuts.

Thanks, it is dumped.... I can't take that chance... now I will be looking at dates even closer... so aggravating I swear!

I have never heard of an expiration date that long! If you buy at Wawa here, it is usally 2 weeks tops! If I buy in SR, Walmart or BJ's it is usally never more than 1 month. Even after it was opened, I would have returned it and got my money back. (IMO)

No, it is from aldi, its half & half... just 1/2 milk and 1/2 cream... keep refrigerated half n half...

I buy that from Aldi for my DH all the time and the expiration dates are always way out like that. He doesn't like the flavored creamers that are always on the good coupon deals so I buy it there since you get a huge bottle for $1.99. I always buy the red bottle of it.

If it's Ultra pasteurized, it usually have a much longer expiry date.

Thanks, it is dumped.... I can't take that chance... now I will be looking at dates even closer... so aggravating I swear!

I don't drink milk but i'm paranoid over dates on food.I can't understand how people could eat or drink an item past the expiration date.****, i won't even eat some things even when they have a long expire date.

It's better that you tossed it.

It's got to be ultra high temp pasturized. In Europe they have shelf stable milk that people buy in cases and keep stocked in their garage. I've seen long-dated creamer before. Does it say anything like UHT or ultra-pasturized on the label?

If you pay attention to some orange juice, milk and other dairy products that have longer dates, they are usually "UHT" or ultra pasteurized.

Yes, it does say ultra pasturized. That's just too far out there... I mean really, can you imagine buying it in january... it's been sitting for 3+ months, blech!

Yes, it does say ultra pasturized. That's just too far out there... I mean really, can you imagine buying it in january... it's been sitting for 3+ months, blech!

Boy, you don't ever want to come around my refrigerator! I just use the sniff test: works on food, pets and kids.

I'd imagine that with something like half & half, once it's opened, it's probably on the verge of dead after a week or so.

Back