What's new

Reducing Monthly Bills!

momlovesher4

Active Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
Looking for ways to reduce monthly bills. Comcast bill of 225.00 no movie channels besides Encore it is a huge jump from the 125.00 that we were paying in Feb of this year. Called comcast retention department which is usually very helpful and was told that they have no promotions for current customers. The company is taking a turn and only giving promotions to new customers. I told her that I was thinking of going to AT&T, and she told me there is no reason to lower their price because a customer says that they are going to another company because they offer more, I may not be using all of the services that they offer but I get more for my money with them. Can I say that all I want is consist working internet service and decent channels that I can watch a movie every now and then? (DH watch more TV then me).

So here's the deal, I'm thinking about going with AT&T universe for cable and internet. Our plan is to get rid of the house phone. What are your thoughts on not having a house phone and AT&T universe?

Secondly, read a forum here (don't know how to enter the link to it) on alarm systems and monthly monitoring service for alarm system. Found out we are getting screwed by Monitorinics and the system that they put in 4 years ago has a receiver chip that doesn't allow other companies to monitor our home even if we decided to go elsewhere. Our plan is to purchase a new keypad that has a blank board possibly a cellular unit that the DH will install and go with alarmrelay.com. What do you think? Have you also install an alarm system and have a online monitoring company monitoring your home system? Where did you purchase your system that you installed?

We have us cellular for cell service and I can't complain much here, we have 4 phones on our plan and pay $172 a month no change in three years since I add the DH, and 2 DS's to my individual plan making it a family plan. This includes 1900 shared minutes, free incoming call, free nights and weekends starting a 7pm, unlimited text messaging (which is big with our 2 DS's). Internet and Picture messaging is blocked, at our request. But if there is something better please tell me!

Any and all information is helpful.

Your Comcast bill sounds very high. I have Comcast internet, cable TV and phone & I pay under $150/month including tax (I do have HBO). My yearly special ran out in May. My bill went from $125 to $175. I called Comcast to ask for a better rate. I did get about $30 off my monthly bill. This is still high, and I plan on calling later to see whether I can get it lower.

Kill your TV. I live w/o both. Don't miss it.

Says a librarian. :lol: I would give up my car before I would give up my tv. :surrender:

We killed our cable. We realized that the network websites have full episodes of most of the shows we watch. We also signed up for Netflix at $9/mo. In addition to the movies you get through the mail, they also have a lot of stuff (both movies and TV shows) you can watch online. DH is currently obsessed with watching the entire series of Prison Break.

Oh, I killed my car too. Yes, I am a librarian....online too much. Watched Shield on YouTube and I watch DVD from library and Redbox.

****. There's too many shows I love......tv (one of 4) is on most of the day in my house everything from news, sports, talk shows, comedy, drama......LOVE IT ALL!

The $$ you are paying Comcast make no sense to me. That is outrageous. Last time I had to renegotiate with them was maybe end of May or first half of June. I had to call twice to get a deal I could live with. A year ago it was the same, my dh called and then I had to call again. So, I would try again if I were you. I can't find my most recent bill right now, but I would say it is $150ish for cable (we have Encore too), phone, and internet. They told me there were no special promotions for us, but when I called the second time the cs offered me some type of maybe it was everyday pricing (??). Basically it is not supposed to change so it eliminates the need to call in every year. I have one in college, my kids use the internet for school, and I save too much money on the internet to get rid of it; my oldest ds lives in FL and we talk long distance a lot; my kids love on demand. I don't know anything about AT&T Universe, but, for me, I don't want to be bound to a contract especially when I have actually been unable to find anything for us cheaper than Comcast if I want the same type of services.

I use a tracfone. I put 1000ish minutes on it with a year service (I have a double minute phone) and I think it was $100 - $120 for the year. I don't use it to have conversations. It is more for emergencies and keeping in contact with home when I am out. I say what needs to be said and hang up. My 10 year old has paid for his own tracfone and adds 60 minute cards when he has money. He uses this to text his friends. My dh doesn't have a phone. If he really needs one for something he can take mine. Sounds like you have some tough decisions to make. Good Luck!

because I have teens and work 2 jobs outside the home a tracfone would never work for us--during the day --ie while I am at work and they are at school we talk via texting

we had pay as you go phones for a few years --once you have older kids on the pay as you goes it is not worth it--and really i am a cheapskate--I could do without tv -cable in a heartbeat

You need to detox from TV Mrs.. Join me beading, knitting, needlepoint and cat wrangling.

Beading......I tried that once when I first got married. Knitting and needlepoint.......um, no......cat wrangling......hell to the no! :lol:

I mean we do stuff most days......leave the house and do activities and play in the yard, etc. but when we're in the house......the tv is on. I play board games with my kids, read to the younger one, etc. but I do lurves muh shows! :bliss:

The other night our phone, internet and cable went out for a couple hours for some reason (bundled package) and OMG I was SOOOO crabby! :hides:

Your Comcast bill sounds very high. I have Comcast internet, cable TV and phone & I pay under $150/month including tax (I do have HBO). My yearly special ran out in May. My bill went from $125 to $175. I called Comcast to ask for a better rate. I did get about $30 off my monthly bill. This is still high, and I plan on calling later to see whether I can get it lower.

Had the HBO plan for a year promo, I think 45.00 a month, 19.99 phone, 24.96 internet, 1 HD DVD box 15.99, 3 reg boxes 5.99 each, bill then $125. Everything just expired. Now Cable 77.90 and HBO 17.99 billed seperate, box fee on the 3 reg now 7.95 each (just noticed that while typing this), $1 more on HD DVR box, Internet 24.83 promo ends next month, Voice (phone) 46.52. Bill Now 220.38 Yes this is a huge jump.

because I have teens and work 2 jobs outside the home a tracfone would never work for us--during the day --ie while I am at work and they are at school we talk via texting

We managed when we were kids/teens. Isn't it weird to think back on that......when we had to make finite plans with times set because we couldn't always get ahold of peeps to change them? Now everything is winging it because you can always call.

Out of curiosity what do you need to talk to your kids about while they're in school?

Had the HBO plan for a year promo, I think 45.00 a month, 19.99 phone, 24.96 internet, 1 HD DVD box 15.99, 3 reg boxes 5.99 each, bill then $125. Everything just expired. Now Cable 77.90 and HBO 17.99 billed seperate, box fee on the 3 reg now 7.95 each (just noticed that while typing this), $1 more on HD DVR box, Internet 24.83 promo ends next month, Voice (phone) 46.52. Bill Now 220.38 Yes this is a huge jump.

I don't have HD DVD box and I only have 1 reg box. I do have HBO and my phone is unlimited calling anywhere in the U.S. I usually have better luck just talking to the regular CSR instead of the retention department. It is better to call after 3:00pm (second shift) and just tell the CSR that you cannot afford the $220.00/month bill. The CSR will try to find out whatever promotion is out there to help you to lower your bill. Give it a try! Good luck!

I didn't read all the responses...but I think your cell bill is ATTROCIOUSLY high! I think that rates have come WAY down over the last 2 years.

Heck, Cricket offers unlimited talk for $30 a month....if you did that for each phone you would only spend $120 a month for 4 phones unlimited calls. Most contract plans are less now too...competition is high and they are just less of a luxury now. I would look into a new cell plan.

agreed, you can find many month to month that are very reasonable

Our Directv,home phone & internet is about $175 monthly. We do have all the movie channels except the adult ones.I can't be without my tv.I do read alot before you say to read. I'm a speed reader & can sometimes read 2 books a day.
My cell plan(3 phones) unlimited texting & 1000 min is $129 monthly. We are switching from ATT to Us Celluar in Sept. when contracts are up. ATT has horrible signals & i have dropped calls constantly.

You could also check and see if you are eligible for any discounts through your (or your DH's) employer. We get a 12% discount each month on our cell (Verizon) b/c of my job.

We skip cable and do a wireless internet/landline combo with ATT. Internet is 19.99. Both together is 39.70/mo including taxes.

We added up the cost of cable in a year and thought about what value that really added to our lives... for you this is $2700!!....We decided that there were many other things we'd rather do with that money.

I have to say that you'd be surprised how much TV you get for free these days. The change over to digital has been amazing! We get 30+ channels here in Dupage county.
Also nice that my internet and TV never go down...not once in 3 years.

Perhaps your family could try it for a month... if you hate it and still want to spend $$ on cable then maybe you'd be a "new" customer for comcast again. :)

http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/plans/Cell-Phone-Plans.aspx?catgroup=Family&WT.z_shop_plansLP=family

Unlimited talk and text for the family $99 a month
Unlimited talk, tex, web $139 a month.

Every year I have compared plans and found nothing less with the great service and the non dropped calls etc. This bill is the total bill including those high taxes.

Remember I got 4 lines $109.99 (1900 shared mins. and free incoming mins.)
unlimited Nights & WE's $10.00
Unlimited Family Texting $19.95
Total Package is $139.94

Now they charge a $1.73 fee to each line for Regulatory Cost Recovery and IL Wireless E 911 Fee for a Total of $6.92

Then there is a Federal USF Charge of $5.44
And finally IL Telecom tax of $19.46

For the Grand total of 171.76.

Back